Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Al[_4_] Al[_4_] is offline

Default Truffles?

Probably not the best place to post this, but can't think of anywhere
better at the moment!

A friend brought round a 'mystery object' that she'd dug up in her garden
and wondered what it was.

It was covered in dirt, but it looked like soap and was soft enough to give
a little when squeezed and a fingernail could scrape away some of the white
'flesh'. I washed it off in cold water, and it looks suspiciously like an
Italian white truffle!

I know that this type of truffle has been found in South East England, so
it's possible. But, there is no real smell to it. I expected to be quite
pungent, but I can barely detect anything. It doesn't appear to be mineral
(like talc or soapstone) and it left a sort of slightly greasy feeling on
my fingers after I'd washed it.

It's not going to be hugely valuable if it is a truffle, but curiosity has
got the better of both of us and we'd like to prove/disprove that it is a
truffle.

So, where do we go with it? Garden centre? Restaurant? Kew Gardens?

Didn't get chance to take a picture - Maybe later in the week if I see it
again.

Ideas?

Al.