Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Truffles?

Probably not the best place to post this, but can't think of anywhere
better at the moment!

A friend brought round a 'mystery object' that she'd dug up in her garden
and wondered what it was.

It was covered in dirt, but it looked like soap and was soft enough to give
a little when squeezed and a fingernail could scrape away some of the white
'flesh'. I washed it off in cold water, and it looks suspiciously like an
Italian white truffle!

I know that this type of truffle has been found in South East England, so
it's possible. But, there is no real smell to it. I expected to be quite
pungent, but I can barely detect anything. It doesn't appear to be mineral
(like talc or soapstone) and it left a sort of slightly greasy feeling on
my fingers after I'd washed it.

It's not going to be hugely valuable if it is a truffle, but curiosity has
got the better of both of us and we'd like to prove/disprove that it is a
truffle.

So, where do we go with it? Garden centre? Restaurant? Kew Gardens?

Didn't get chance to take a picture - Maybe later in the week if I see it
again.

Ideas?

Al.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Subject to the fact it's the wrong time of year, it would be more
likely to be Choiromyces meandriformis, which is found on the surface
- but of (broad-leaf and/or frondose woodland.

Thanks for that - A little research makes me 99% sure it's Choiromyces
gangliformis:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...Block~bid~6940
~source~gallerychooserresult.asp

Shortened: http://is.gd/rmbI

It centainly looks like a member of the Choiromyces family, and the
'knobbliness' of it makes gangliformis very likely.

You haven't said where it was found. Truffles are usually associated
with specific trees, and in any case, in the summer/autumn

It was found in a wooden plant trough in a suburban garden. Not quite the
right habitat, but the pictures and description are compelling.

Cheers,

Al.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Al contains these words:

Subject to the fact it's the wrong time of year, it would be more
likely to be Choiromyces meandriformis, which is found on the surface
- but of (broad-leaf and/or frondose woodland.

Thanks for that - A little research makes me 99% sure it's Choiromyces
gangliformis:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...Block~bid~6940
~source~gallerychooserresult.asp

Access is denied

Shortened: http://is.gd/rmbI

Access is denied

It centainly looks like a member of the Choiromyces family, and the
'knobbliness' of it makes gangliformis very likely.

However, http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/ brings up one page (A),
but clicking on (C) dumps me in Amazon

You haven't said where it was found. Truffles are usually associated
with specific trees, and in any case, in the summer/autumn

It was found in a wooden plant trough in a suburban garden. Not quite the
right habitat, but the pictures and description are compelling.

Hmmm. You might try cultivating them...

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al[_4_] View Post
A friend brought round a 'mystery object' that she'd dug up in her garden
and wondered what it was....it looks suspiciously like an
Italian white truffle!

I know that this type of truffle has been found in South East England, so
it's possible. But, there is no real smell to it.
Italian White Truffle is Tuber Magnatum. The interior of a truffle is marbled, with grey-brown or cream "grains" separated by a white lines, a bit like if you pressed together a wet oatmeal-like or broken-up chestnut like substance in a white liquid that solidifies together. And it really should be aromatic.

I'm not aware that "proper" Alba truffles have been found in England. There are other white truffles, which are also found in various parts of Italy, and inferior to the proper one, and maybe it is one like those. I have found Tuber aestivum (summer truffle), a black truffle, which does fetch quite a price on the market, but I think it is very disappointing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber_(genus)