Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default working with clay

"RK77" wrote:

I'm trying to get my garden leveled as the builders put lot of clay
soil when building the extension few years ago.

Currently the soil is bit sticky, moist inside and hard on top which is
not that bad to work with.

I've moved the soil to lower part of my garden where i exactly want it
to be. The problem now is that its bit lumpy and doesn't level
properly.

I also want to put 3 inches of concrete once leveled.

Could anyone advice what will be the best solution to that. I was
thinking of getting the vibrating plate on hire, but not sure if it
will work.

The clayey soil you moved to your garden (big mistake) should either be
removed or amended... I would remove it to another area or just put it back
where the paving will commence... I wouldn't bother leveling, the pavers
will *grade* and compact that area... you never want a paved area level,
unless you like puddles and cracked paving.