Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default question about river birch/kousa dogwood

"enigma" wrote in message
wrote in
.
com:

Hi again,

I could not find the pictures I took of my river birch last
summer so I had to retake and unfortunately there is no leaf on
the tree now. So I'm not sure how useful it is with the
identification, but to show the difference in the amount of
barks my river birch and the river birch that I like have look
at:

My river birch:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dvijxg.jpg

The river birch that I like: http://i41.tinypic.com/2s0hilg.jpg

yours are just young. they will eventually look like the ones you
like. just give them a few years & they'll start looking more & more
as you like them.
lee

Yes, they'll show more peeling with age. But still, trees being living
things no two will be precisely alike, and the environment in which they're
growing can make a very significant difference. Btw, the picture is heavily
croped but from what I can see of how it's stabilized that tape is already
digging into the bark, and that light bamboo is doing nothing by way of
support but burying itself into the birch. I would redo the supporting
structure, make it so it gives the tree freedom to sway without chafing or
digging in... the more a young tree moves the stronger it's root system will
develop... there is no need for that support after the first year. I wish I
could see a more distant view so I could see how the tree is in the ground
and the lay of the land so I could tell if it's planted correctly, that
support system gives me concern that there are other issues.