Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default How to get rid of clover that's taking over the lawn???

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:08:06 +0100, Lucretian
wrote:

'Phisherman[_3_ Wrote:
;838029']On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:03:24 -0700 (PDT), ron
wrote:
-
It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?-

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees.
A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer
burgers.

As a farmer, I know that I can easily get rid of clover by over-grazing
it. Not that I want too though - it's far cheaper than polluting
fertilizer! Most organic farmers use it in rotation to fix nitrogen.

True that. I sowed crimson clover for several years as a cover crop.
Very pretty plant. Then I studied herbs and and sowed red clover
instead. This year I've broadcast yellow sweet clover as well, mainly
because I think it's pretty.

Kate