Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Fermented Pickles

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:51:36 -0400, "Andy Petro"
wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

CaCl is to keep them crisp, rather than soggy/limp. I've never used
either one when I ferment pickles and haven't had an issue with
sogginess (I do use grape leaves, which add tannic acid - this is
supposed to make them crisper).

When I do it, the ingredients a thick layer of clean, fresh grape
leaves top and bottom; cukes; brine; dill, garlic, dried hot peppers.

- Mark