Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
Anne Chambers[_2_] Anne Chambers[_2_] is offline

Default Growing vegies Melbourne

YMC wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for something else to grow in my garden during autumn... any
ideas? I was thinking stuff like herbs or small fruit plants.

Usually I grow roses. But an amazing thing happened in my garden during
Summer - somehow a wild tomato plant grew up in my backyard flower bed.
Right smack in the middle. I didn't take care of it - but it somehow
survived the hot summer and is producing an abudance of fruit. I count about
23 tomatoes.

Its coming to Winter and as expected its slowly dying off. But it should
survive for another month or so. Wow, thank God for small blessings. Anyway
its given me a bit of joy and I'm looking to grow a few other things.

Any suggestions?

I'm just over the border in SA so our growing seasons are similar.
Hardy herbs such as sage, thyme, oregano & marjoram will survive the winter and keep going for years if they
are cut back after flowering - they look good in around roses too.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com