Old 13-04-2009, 03:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_19_] Jonno[_19_] is offline

Default Growing vegies Melbourne

David Hare-Scott wrote:
YMC wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for something else to grow in my garden during autumn...
any ideas? I was thinking stuff like herbs or small fruit plants.

Usually I grow roses. But an amazing thing happened in my garden
during Summer - somehow a wild tomato plant grew up in my backyard
flower bed. Right smack in the middle. I didn't take care of it - but
it somehow survived the hot summer and is producing an abudance of
fruit. I count about 23 tomatoes.

Its coming to Winter and as expected its slowly dying off. But it
should survive for another month or so. Wow, thank God for small
blessings. Anyway its given me a bit of joy and I'm looking to grow a
few other things.
Any suggestions?

These all prefer full sun and require at least part sun. Silverbeet,
spinach and lettuce are pretty easy and don't take up much space. Also
climbing peas can run up a fence (facing north) or a trellis and not
take much room. If you want to get more adventurous and use more area
then brassicas; cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, sprouts, etc.

Here is a good book on brassicas...You can just download it, edit cut
and paste.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19006/19006-8.txt