Old 13-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Need advice on my "very first pond"

macio wrote:
I am new to this group so I probably missed a lot of the information
that I am asking - sorry.

I am going to start building a new pond - my first one, probably
around 6’x15’ and 24-36” deep.

I want to use a liner, I wish to have a simple filter to keep the
water clear, and I am interested in a partially elevated pond because
of an extremely high water table.

1) Who is the most reliable dealer for liners?

Many, I prefer Kencofish.com

2) Where can I get detailed information on how to build a filter? I
have noticed some posts about "vegi" filters - what are they?

A seperate area that uses plants to filter the water.

3) I have very fine sand that caves in with the least amount of
digging. How do I go about supporting the sides of the pond?
I read one post regarding "interlocking" blocks - what
are these?

I don't know.

4) What about a bottom drain? Do I need one, or just a simple pump to
filter the water?

Do you plan to have koi or goldfish. If koi a bottom drain
is desirable.

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to do this right the first
time - digging a big hole in the ground is hard work.

--
Bonnie
NJ