Old 13-04-2003, 03:20 PM
macio

Default Need advice on my "very first pond"

I am new to this group so I probably missed a lot of the information
that I am asking - sorry.

I am going to start building a new pond - my first one, probably
around 6’x15’ and 24-36” deep.

I want to use a liner, I wish to have a simple filter to keep the
water clear, and I am interested in a partially elevated pond because
of an extremely high water table.

1) Who is the most reliable dealer for liners?

2) Where can I get detailed information on how to build a filter? I
have noticed some posts about "vegi" filters - what are they?

3) I have very fine sand that caves in with the least amount of
digging. How do I go about supporting the sides of the pond?
I read one post regarding "interlocking" blocks - what
are these?

4) What about a bottom drain? Do I need one, or just a simple pump to
filter the water?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to do this right the first
time - digging a big hole in the ground is hard work.
Old 13-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

macio wrote:
I am new to this group so I probably missed a lot of the information
that I am asking - sorry.

I am going to start building a new pond - my first one, probably
around 6’x15’ and 24-36” deep.

I want to use a liner, I wish to have a simple filter to keep the
water clear, and I am interested in a partially elevated pond because
of an extremely high water table.

1) Who is the most reliable dealer for liners?

Many, I prefer Kencofish.com

2) Where can I get detailed information on how to build a filter? I
have noticed some posts about "vegi" filters - what are they?

A seperate area that uses plants to filter the water.

3) I have very fine sand that caves in with the least amount of
digging. How do I go about supporting the sides of the pond?
I read one post regarding "interlocking" blocks - what
are these?

I don't know.

4) What about a bottom drain? Do I need one, or just a simple pump to
filter the water?

Do you plan to have koi or goldfish. If koi a bottom drain
is desirable.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 14-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Barbara2245

Bonnie Espenshade wrote in message ...
macio wrote:
[...]

Two years ago I built a pond your size. The liner was purchased from
water Garden Creations with free delivery to your door and at a very
good price.

http://watergardencreations.com/webstore/Shopping.htm

It was 45ml pond grade EPDM Rubber. My soil is a redish clay and sand
so it held pretty well in construction you may have to line the sides
ith cement blocks or even sheets of plywood, underliner and then the
rubber liner.

It is a good idea to start with a dozen of pond grade goldfish, to
practice on, about 4" and after getting a few books by Helen Nash and
DicK Mills go on to koi. Koi are diving fish and would need a deeper
pond than you planned. A good site for beginners is by Chuck Rush.

http://www.pondrushes.net/

Also many retailers on the Net have helpful info. I and many other
people built their own filters with the Skippy plans.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/index.html

The best is to build the pond as big as you can afford and have space
because next year you will want to go bigger. If you don't put bottom
drains first off there is a drain that sits on the bottom of the pond.
I use our old sump pump to pump out the water and use a shop vac to do
some serious cleaning.
Happy water gardening.

Old 14-04-2003, 01:20 AM
RichToyBox

One method of getting sand to hold its shape during the digging is to wet it
first. The surface tension of the water on the sand grains is what allows
us to make sand castles. It then needs to be supported with plywood, block,
or other support before it has a chance to dry out, or get totally
saturated. Either very dry or saturated, the sand will collapse. I would
suggest working in a small area at a time to be able to keep it supportive
until you can get the other supports in. If you do not put in the wood or
block, the pond will collapse when you get close to the edge.
--
RichToyBox

. ..