Old 13-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Default Squirrels massacre tulips

Give them squirrels plenty of unsalted peanuts in the shells.

They like them far better than digging up tulip bulbs.

Rachel wrote in message
Any new ideas on deterring squirrel attacks on tulips? Last year I tried
Badger Balm back rub goo, which has cayenne pepper among the ingredients

in
a base of beeswax and olive oil. It doesn't wash off with rain and my

tulips
survived the whole season. This year, the squirrels have taken to biting

off
just the flower, even though I put the goo right where the blossom joins

the
stem. They don't even eat it, they just leave it lying on the ground.

Don't tell me to divert them with peanut butter.... They've got plenty of
diversions, including a new method of evading the baffle and reaching the
bird feeder. But they _really_ crave tulips.

Rachel