Old 13-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Rachel

Default Squirrels massacre tulips

Any new ideas on deterring squirrel attacks on tulips? Last year I tried
Badger Balm back rub goo, which has cayenne pepper among the ingredients in
a base of beeswax and olive oil. It doesn't wash off with rain and my tulips
survived the whole season. This year, the squirrels have taken to biting off
just the flower, even though I put the goo right where the blossom joins the
stem. They don't even eat it, they just leave it lying on the ground.

Don't tell me to divert them with peanut butter.... They've got plenty of
diversions, including a new method of evading the baffle and reaching the
bird feeder. But they _really_ crave tulips.

Rachel

Old 13-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Cereoid-XXX

Give them squirrels plenty of unsalted peanuts in the shells.

They like them far better than digging up tulip bulbs.

Old 13-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Rachel

"Cereoid-XXX" wrote in message
news
Give them squirrels plenty of unsalted peanuts in the shells.

Thanks, but see below.

They like them far better than digging up tulip bulbs.

Not digging up bulbs:

Old 14-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Cereoid-XXX

Biting off flower buds is far more likely is the work of deer not squirrels.

You've got a much bigger problem than you think.

Old 14-04-2003, 03:08 AM
BiG Orange

"Cereoid-XXX" wrote in message
Biting off flower buds is far more likely is the work of deer not

squirrels.

Or Waskeley Wabbits.

Old 14-04-2003, 03:20 AM
BiG Orange

"Rachel" wrote in message
Any new ideas on deterring squirrel attacks on tulips?

Move to a Sub Division with Underground utilities and the squirrels go
bye-bye.

Old 14-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Cereoid-XXX wrote:

Biting off flower buds is far more likely is the work of deer not squirrels.

I've seen them do it.
Old 14-04-2003, 06:08 AM
zhanataya

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:06:49 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
wrote:

Cereoid-XXX wrote:

Biting off flower buds is far more likely is the work of deer not squirrels.

I've seen them do it.

Good!! We trained them squirrels to go up to Yankee Country to exact
a bit of revenge since we can't grow them. Wait til you see what we
have in store for the peonys.

zhan
Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

"Cereoid-XXX" wrote in message
news
Give them squirrels plenty of unsalted peanuts in the shells.

They like them far better than digging up tulip bulbs.

Or get a BB, pellet, .22, or .410. It doesn't take them long to get the
message, depending upon how good a shot you are.

John

Old 14-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Cereoid-XXX

Your honor, we have an eye witness to dastardly deed.

He's a born-again, new-age, medical accountant that practices herbal
self-medication.

Old 14-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Rachel

Move to a Sub Division with Underground utilities and the squirrels go
bye-bye.

Uh-uh. This here tulip bed is in the middle of an oak forest. They _own_ the
place!

Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
TakeThisOut

I used a hav-a-heart trap (And have been for some 6-8 weeks now) and just this
morning, sometime after I left for work, caught #19. S/he was dead by the time
I got home from work, it bled to death after practically peeling off all it's
leg skin in it's vein attempts to scrape it's way out of the trap.

As far as I know, I have but 1 left to catch but let me tell you - I never
realized how many bulbs I have planted until this year, now that NONE are being
dug up. The peanut butter works wonders as a lure as it's always eaten.

Cruel as it may seem, these fluffy-tailed rats do nothing of any value as far
as I can tell. Their natural predators (owls?) are gone. They make the
neighbors dogs bark as they consume flowering bulbs just out of reach of the
canine *******'s leash, they cause neighborhood pets to chase them out into the
streets where they risk injury, the leave strange looking feces on my cedar
mulch.

Have you seen the GEICO commercial? They even cause auto accidents.

My only hope that my drowning 18 of 'em in the garden fish pond doesn't wreak
havoc on the Koi's mental health - witnessing all those drownings. Although the
goldfish are a heck of a lot more polite and attentive to me lately..

..
..
..
..