Old 16-04-2009, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default layering

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

In your situation I would rely more on rooting cuttings than
layering... with layering someone would need to see to regular
watering. Perhaps you can use both methods simultaneously. But
were it me I'd bring home some branches in a bucket of water.

yes, i could do that, thanks.

Be warned you're liable to be very old before you see any
berries... you may do better to buy some saplings. I adore
Chinese weeping mulberry. My neighbor diagonally across the
road has some lovely ancient ones in front of her 200+ year old
farm house, those mulberrys are probably as old:
http://i41.tinypic.com/xlw482.jpg

are the weeping mulberry black or white? white mulberry is an
invasive here, but black mulberry is native. those are very nice
looking trees though. i do like weeping cultivars...

Btw, that's my hay.

well, it beats mowing every week, but what do you do with the hay?
i see quite a few places that hay the big round bales & just leave
them to rot at the field's edge (or worse, out in the middle of the
field). can you use it as mulch or is it too seedy?
i've got 10+ acres of pasture, but the 4 llamas & 2 goats keep it
'mowed'. it's too hilly & rocky to hay anyway.
lee