Old 16-04-2009, 10:39 AM
bigmike20vt bigmike20vt is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwin dubren View Post
New2thegame wrote:
Hi, i have just started growing my own food, i have built a 'patch' in
my garden out of fibreglass to grow veg and fruit.
I have planted my seeds but i think i have done it wrong, what i done
was put a few seeds in the ground each time and spaced them about, After
i done this i was told that you put one seed in the ground not a few
like i done.
Will the seeds still grow and give me veg or have i wasted the best
part of my easter holidays on this project?
Thanks in advance Gordon.

What you should do is wait until the seed germinate and get around
an inch high. Then, thin them out to a single plant, saving the
most promising one. It's ok to plant the seeds thickly, especially
if they are from past seasons. You do have to be willing to thin
them out.

Sherwin
is it just me who cant bring themselves to bin the other plants when thining out ?

i find i end up planting them all over the place, so what starts off as 1 row of plants usually spreads to every available pot, tub and bucket in my possetion.

regarding the OP for me it depends on how much the seeds cost. if they were cheap i tend to spread em thickly at 1st then thin out, if more expensive i am more careful but plant some extras at the end of my run.