Old 16-04-2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default layering

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message

are the weeping mulberry black or white? white mulberry is an
invasive here, but black mulberry is native. those are very
nice looking trees though. i do like weeping cultivars...

I think they're black, or very dark red.

the messy kind people seem to like the white mulberries because
they don't stain everything purple. i prefer to plant native plants
if possible.

I have a neighbor down the road who raises beef cattle, he hays
my land and pays my taxes. The farmers around here always leave
about 10% of the bales so the deer will have food for winter.
Whatever is left in spring they collect and use for bedding.

i have some feed plots for the deer out in the woodlot. there's an
area near my border with the late Mr. Shaw's landlocked woods that
is quite open (it's where i have veneer grade trees growing), with
Mr.Shaw's lot having a lot of overgrown hemlock & pine on the one
side, my wetlands at the bottom, & the town woodlot at the top.
it's been planted with forage. i'm not sure about the deer, but the
moose seems to like it. if my tractor had higher ground clearance i
could haul hay out there in the winter. i'll have to think about
how to accomplish that. anything that keeps the deer out of the
pasture is a good thing. they're alternate hosts for menengial
worms (along with snails/slugs). they don't bother deer, but they
are frequently fatal to camelids.
lee