Old 18-04-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Ginger bucket

A neighbour called in a while ago and noticed some fresh ginger
waiting for preparation. She asked if we had ever tried to grow it. I
replied that I had but never successfully. Later she returned with a
bucket full of ginger that was about two foot high and had a mass of
roots. She went on to tell me the method.

Start with a plastic bucket half full of wet garden soil. Put a piece
of ginger root on top of the soil with the cut end down into the soil.
Keep the bucket in a warm, well lit place. Keep the soil moist. That's
it.

I did what she suggested using a big ice cream container and after
about three weeks the plant grew. The container is taped on to the
side of a tropical fish tank so it is warm all day and night. One of
the tank spotlights is aimed directly at ginger plant. The light is on
for 18 hours every day.

After two months the roots have grown quite a lot. This is my first
success growing ginger.

Steve