Old 18-04-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ginger bucket

A neighbour called in a while ago and noticed some fresh ginger
waiting for preparation. She asked if we had ever tried to grow it. I
replied that I had but never successfully. Later she returned with a
bucket full of ginger that was about two foot high and had a mass of
roots. She went on to tell me the method.

Start with a plastic bucket half full of wet garden soil. Put a piece
of ginger root on top of the soil with the cut end down into the soil.
Keep the bucket in a warm, well lit place. Keep the soil moist. That's
it.

I did what she suggested using a big ice cream container and after
about three weeks the plant grew. The container is taped on to the
side of a tropical fish tank so it is warm all day and night. One of
the tank spotlights is aimed directly at ginger plant. The light is on
for 18 hours every day.

After two months the roots have grown quite a lot. This is my first
success growing ginger.

Steve

Old 18-04-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
[...]

I can tell you how not to do it, I'm an expert on the matter:
Put uncut root ginger in a flower pot filled with a compost and sand mix.
Leave in unheated conservatory for a month.
Nothing!

Maybe I need to review my method. Thanks.

mark

Old 18-04-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

That sounds excellent. I'll give it a go. My success so far has been
limited.

My one question would be how would you avoid getting algae on the
surface of the wet soil? Or doesn't it matter?

TJ

Old 18-04-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:01:11 +0100, "Tim Jesson"
wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message

snip

After two months the roots have grown quite a lot. This is my first
success growing ginger.

Steve

That sounds excellent. I'll give it a go. My success so far has been
limited.

My one question would be how would you avoid getting algae on the
surface of the wet soil? Or doesn't it matter?

It's not wet on the surface. The soil on the top is quite dry because
of the warmth from the spotlight.

Steve

Old 19-04-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message

snip

After two months the roots have grown quite a lot. This is my
first
success growing ginger.

Steve

That sounds excellent. I'll give it a go. My success so far has
been
limited.

My one question would be how would you avoid getting algae on the
surface of the wet soil? Or doesn't it matter?

It's not wet on the surface. The soil on the top is quite dry
because
of the warmth from the spotlight.

Steve

OK that explains it. Thanks Steve.

I don't have any easy way of doing this with heat/light so I'm going
to try to improvise. It's worth experimenting because ginger is a real
prize.

TJ

Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:09:51 +0100, "Tim Jesson"
wrote:

~
~"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in
message
.. .
~ On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:01:11 +0100, "Tim Jesson"
~ wrote:
~
~
[...]
I just went for a simple method a few years back. Get piece of
ginger, stuff in 6" pot, cover with compost and keep damp. Oh and
keep in a conservatory which usually gets to 30-40C in summer.

Try and keep sprayed with water or else it'll get red spider mite
like you won't believe.

Beat the shoots down after a few months (and enjoy the totally
weirdo flowers) and realise too late that 6" pots are too small
even for a small starting piece!

Have fun in winter with a ginger root some 7" across after
cutting the pot off...

:-) :-)

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

I have a mini greenhouse for veggy plants that gets to high 30's at
the top. I'll give it a go - in a large pot!

Thanks Jane,
TJ