Old 19-04-2009, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Every year I experiment with one thing in the garden. Two years ago it
was mulch on half the pepper plants. In july, the mulched plants were
twice as large, and much more healthy looking. Last year they all got
mulched. I've done the same with my 'maters, plucking the 'sucker'
branches, the first flowers one friend says the same for peppers too
Anyways, I've never experienced any noticeable difference in my garden,
so I don't do any of that any more.
Try an experiment and pluck half the plants, see if it makes a
difference at the end of the year...

Tim