Old 19-04-2009, 05:26 PM
klondyke klondyke is offline
Registered User

Location: abergavenny Mon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil
Hi Phil, This is a non chemical way to deter the moggies. They do not like the smell of citrus , so cut up some old orange, lemon, grapefruit skins and lay them around the edges of your plot . It works for me! Other than that you could try the method used by my wife's brother-in-law. He got an old sardine tin with some bits of fish and oil still in it and wired the tin upto the mains electricity. Then he stood watch and when moggie came along and stuck his nose in the tin he threw the switch!. Do you recall Korky the Cat? I remember a picture of him in the Dandy with his hair all up like todays rockers and flying through the air having got an electric shock. I pictured that when I heard about the sardine tin and whilst I am in general an animal lover, I have to admit I roared with laughter . Yeah like most gardeners I hate the darned moggies. Best of luck.. but do try the citrus trick. KLONDYKE