Old 16-03-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do Cats Get the Message

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

Old 16-03-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

We found that repeated water soaking seems to have kept the local
felines away.
Old 16-03-2009, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem
of cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

Extra manure is a problem?
Old 16-03-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 8:52*am, "TheScullster" wrote:

Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

A rather sad comment! I know spring has really arrived as one of my
cats came in this morning with his first rabbit of the season.
(Wouldn't Mr McGregor be pleased!) Likewise I have not seen a rat or
mole (other than dead ones ) in my garden for some years. Is it really
beyond your wit to keep a cat off your seed bed or whatever you claim
they do? I have no trouble from either my cats or the neighbours'
animals. Let me assure you as an expert in cat psychology of over 60
years standing, a cat will not be put off by a bit of water spray or a
tossed clod of mud, it will only make him more wary of you. The cat's
belief is that he owns the world (including your garden and anywhere
else he wants to roam) - and I have to tell you he's right, so learn
to live with it, accept the benefits and learn to cope with the
disadvantages, if any.
Old 16-03-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

The chemical breaks down into garden-friendly compounds, and the cats
smell something humans can't.

Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.

True.

--
Rusty

Old 16-03-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 +0000, TheScullster wrote:

Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem
of cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

Extra manure is a problem?

Do you want to come and weed where my neighbour's cat has just crapped?

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 12:48*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:34:28 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

[...]

You have just been added to the hit list of those who love killing things and
boasting about it on urg.
--

Martin-

Not me, guv, honest, it was them vicious pussy cats wot dun it!
Old 16-03-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote
Derek Turner contains :
TheScullster wrote:

Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem
of cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

Extra manure is a problem?

Do you want to come and weed where my neighbour's cat has just crapped?

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and ours was the nearest
soft earth. No problem, we welcomed them there and we would welcome some
cats on our new site to rid us of the rabbits, mice and rats which are an
infinitely worse problem than a bit of cat poo, which you can just bury
deep.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-03-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling
our feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the
offending creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

I've always understood that chemical distributors will not supply to the
general public ('elf & safety, and all that. And, of course, liability).

But that only seems to apply to the UK. An acquaintance in France who like
growing Proteaceae has trouble with an very alkaline water supply. His
solution is to acidify it with dilute nitric acid, which he makes from the
containers of umpteen litres of concentrated nitric acid he buys! Try doing
that over here.

--
Jeff

Old 16-03-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 1:36*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 +0000, TheScullster wrote:
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem
of cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

Extra manure is a problem?

Do you want to come and weed where my neighbour's cat has just crapped?

Oh dear, the mighty human brain, peak of natural development and
selection, the greatest of God's creations (if you believe in that
stuff) and it can't figure a way to keep the litlle pussy wussy off
his nice garden? Shame.

Old 16-03-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and ours was the nearest
soft earth. No problem, we welcomed them there and we would welcome some
cats on our new site to rid us of the rabbits, mice and rats which are an
infinitely worse problem than a bit of cat poo, which you can just bury
deep.

After washing your hands.

Thoroughly.

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling
our feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the
offending creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

I've always understood that chemical distributors will not supply to the
general public ('elf & safety, and all that. And, of course, liability).

That's where I got mine. I also got a lot of things (in bulk) which sent
local chemists into a tizz - Spirits of salt, and various other
chemicals - potassium dichromate, oxalic acid, oh, and lots more.

You can go and get fuming spirits of salt from hardware shops - assuming
you go in wearing yer long trousis...

But that only seems to apply to the UK. An acquaintance in France who like
growing Proteaceae has trouble with an very alkaline water supply. His
solution is to acidify it with dilute nitric acid, which he makes from the
containers of umpteen litres of concentrated nitric acid he buys! Try
doing
that over here.

I don't think there'd be a problem if you bought it in bulk from a
distributer - just from a chemist. I had the devil's own job to persuade
a chemist he could sell me a fluid ounce of diethyl ether, so long as it
had the correct label. In the end he looked it up (so he could show me i
was wrong) and - oops!

Now if you were to ask for sulphuric acid as well as the nitric, and a
certain sugar derivative, you might find your collar being felt.

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 16, 1:36*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Do you want to come and weed where my neighbour's cat has just crapped?

Oh dear, the mighty human brain, peak of natural development and
selection, the greatest of God's creations (if you believe in that
stuff) and it can't figure a way to keep the litlle pussy wussy off
his nice garden? Shame.

The Mighty Human Brian can devise a multiplicity of devious and deadly
deeds to denude the area of pussy-wussy.

1) Flintlock 4-bore heffalump gnu
2) Percussion 10-bore shotgnu
3) Percussion 14-bore shotgnu
3) 23-30-120 varmint riffle
4) 577/450 riffle
5) 577/450 artillery crabine
6) M77 10·15 mm Werndl riffle
6) 1851 Adams Dragoon
7) various others of that ilk
8) various air gnus

and the possibility of a cuddly pair of polecats to come...

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Oh come, come, surely violence isn't necessary. Think a bit harder.
Old 16-03-2009, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".

High pressure washer aimed from point blank range works. I would not
advise a brick!

Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No it just learns to watch out for you.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Poison inside cat food could work.

Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

You can get stuff to drive cats away.

Get rid of cats! Charles Lawns 20 08-09-2005 08:26 PM
plz send message again 12/21 Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:16 AM
[IBC] Test Message Chriss Flagg Bonsai 0 19-04-2003 01:32 AM
Message To all Indians who are active in agriculture in any way. Avishai H. Kolatkar sci.agriculture 0 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
Test Message Tom Gardening 0 09-03-2003 08:32 PM