Old 20-04-2009, 01:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_19_] Jonno[_19_] is offline

Default Killing kikuyu grass - fruit tree ok.

YMC wrote:
"phil..c" wrote in message
Thanks for letting us know the good news

May I suggest hit the loose ends if not many again with the round up or
just boiling water .

Frankly I was amazed with the results myself.

The extremely hot weather - 47C - was also probably a contributing factor -
that Kikuyu grass had been in that lawn for over 10 years now and had grown
very deep into the ground. Maybe over a metre deep.

Now all dead Thank God.

You mean thank "roundup"
BTW Kikuyu, its very sneaky and will play dead at times.
Then return like McArthur...
Being seasonal it "could" recover.
I found this. I find it hard to believe in "spores" but its open to
comment... Best of luck Let us know in a few months time. I hope its
dead, and not playing dead..

"There is a problem with kikuyu
re-germinating. You cannot see the seeds. They are actually in the form of a
spore. A bit like the spore of fungi. Maybe one morning you went outside and
thought you had a heavy dew on the lawn. That's what the spores looks like.
The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand. Then
repeatedly hitting it with Roundup or a similar time of herbicide. Roundup
breaks down fairly rapidly and looses its potence with six weeks. It may
take up to 12 month to fully get rid of your kikuyu. The easy way to control
kikuyu is not to water it. Bit of a problem if you want to have a lawn"