Old 20-04-2009, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:45:59 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years. As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if I
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Wow I couldn't pick off flowers! I never do and my cherry tomatoes
always
spill out of the top of a eight foot cage. I let them do what they
want and they
seem to have _plenty_ of energy and fruit too!
Emilie
NorCal zone 8

Yep. Don't waste time and early fruit on plucking.

Charlie

Ah?
--

- Billy