Old 20-04-2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default pick off early flowers in cherry tomatoes?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:03:40 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:24:04 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:45:59 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 18, 7:21 pm, wrote:
OK, I've been growing indeterminate cherry tomatoes for many years.
As
the vines grow, I always pick off the flowers at least until the
vines
are tied up several feet high (around May, here in zone 8). My
neighbor says NO!, that I actually lose tomatoes in the long run if
pick these first flowers off. My logic is that I want the plants to
put their energy into vine before they put energy into fruit. The
way
I grow them, they end up six feet high with plenty of tomatoes.

What say? Do I save myself the trouble and still get plenty of
tomatoes?

Wow I couldn't pick off flowers! I never do and my cherry tomatoes
always
spill out of the top of a eight foot cage. I let them do what they
want and they
seem to have _plenty_ of energy and fruit too!
Emilie
NorCal zone 8

Yep. Don't waste time and early fruit on plucking.

Charlie

Ah?

Ah....what???

Charlie, wondering what the hell was in my tea????

Just plucking around ;O)

I had yellow gentian, chamomile, and fever few tea yesterday. They are
all good for inflamation. My god! is yellow gentian bitter. Damn bitter.
Lovey-poo was not content. I made another pot of just chamomile.
The stiff neck that I've had for three months and had seen a doctor
about, went away, and I slept like a rock until my bladder was about to
burst (yeah, yeah, I know, too much information). Oh, and Lovey-poos
knee, which is where all this started was much better today.
Coincidence? Who knows? Who do I trust more, big pharma or weeds?
Dumb question, but I still talk to my doctor who is totally ignorant of
herbs.

Interesting article...kinda sorta along the lines........

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...f-health-care/

I have very good results with cat's claw and turmeric for
inflammation. I also use devil's claw for osteoarthritic flareups in
me knee.

Cayenne works too. ;-)

Charlie

I usually check here first: