Old 20-04-2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Greenhouses

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in XXtreme SW Utah at 3900' elev., north of St. George. ........
Anyway, my neighbor built himself a greenhouse. ....... Now, my wife wants
one. So do I.

........ All tips appreciated

I'd say the best thing to do would be to seek out some knowledgable, local
resources specific to your area. Contrary to popular belief the innerweb is
not your only path to enlightenment.

USU has a wonderful County Extension Service. You pay taxes for their
research and the use of their vast knowledge is generally FREE. The
information from Washington County Extension Service would even be specific
to YOUR location. http://extension.usu.edu/washington/ I found quite a few
resources on their site pertaining to building greenhouses just for your
area. The people at this agency are eager to help you; it's their job and
most of the agents even like their job. I looked at the 'contact us' link
and there's a picture of a nice, friendly looking man with his name, Rick
Hefelbower, and phone number. Apparently you could even call him and have a
little personal chat about the greenhouses that might work for you. I'll bet
he could even give you information on where to find materials. He'd probably
also mail you a shit load of information to help you make a well informed
decision if you asked nice.

Have you gone to the library to see what they have in the way of books on
building greenhouses for your location? Books are great, they have pictures
and diagrams and all kinds of stuff like that. Here's a handy little map
incase you have no idea where your closest libraries are located in
Washington County, Utah. http://tiny.cc/aEmfb The books are free to borrow
if you have a library card. Library cards are free too! The very nice, well
trained librarians will even lead you to the section where these books are
kept and point them out to you. They generally also have a file full of the
pamphlets and published material from your County Extension Service...just
ask the nice librarian, they are there to help you. If you don't have a
Library Card you are still welcomed to look at the books and magazines and
other stuff right there in the library. They even have chairs and tables for
your convenience while browsing.

Val