Old 20-04-2009, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Greenhouses

I live in XXtreme SW Utah at 3900' elev., north of St. George. Not sure
what zone, as it varies with the book. 6 I think. Gets down to about 20 in
the winter, 105 in summer. Snowed last week, so spring is about April 15th.

Anyway, my neighbor built himself a greenhouse. He now has tomatos already,
and we haven't planted any. He's got other stuff, too.

Now, my wife wants one. So do I.

Give me some do's and don'ts on greenhouses. We get horrible winds here
sometimes. What wood would be good, redwood? And is there any visqueen
material that has fibers in it that will make it stronger?

I have a Singer walking foot sewing machine, so can make up the panels, plus
any shadecloth arrangements I want.

All tips appreciated, including type of wood to use for main posts, types of
clear/shade materials, watering systems for inside, heating on marginal
nights, etc. Should I make the wall panels somewhat of a fold out for
ventilation? Good sites for plans?

TIA

Steve

Old 20-04-2009, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:42:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve

You are responding to a thread that is over two months old and a lot
of people may miss it.

You might try a new post to bring it to the top of the list, so to
speak. Attention spans are short on the usenet.

Sorry, as far as greenhouses go, I know squat. ;-)

Care
Charlie

Here are some posts that deal with a cold tunnel, not a green house.
It is much cheaper but of less ability than a greenhouse.
The posts aren't cleaned up but you may mine some helpful information
from them.

C= 2?r r= C/2? r= 24'/2 x 3.14 r= 12'/3.14=
3.81971863421= 3.82'

From: "simy1"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: How many here grow food gardens inside green house year
round?
Date: 19 Aug 2006 11:50:27 -0700

wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Where do you live?. Does anyone near you grow vegetables? If so, go
talk to them.

I live in north Missouri

From what I gather here..... it sound like growing a
food garden all year round is just impossible without a
significant investment in infrastructure

I guess I better move to Big Island Hawaii and do it
there! g

Huh? A PVC pipe for each hoop costs $1.60. 100 feet of 12 ft poly costs
$27. The clamps will cost you another $20, and you have to have some
bricks to hold down the poly on windy days (concrete chunks will do as
well). If treated well, the poly lasts three years and the clamps and
hoops last forever. You are looking at $15 per winter harvest.

From ???@??? Fri Jan 01 00:00:00 1999
From: "James"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
round?
Date: 22 Aug 2006 08:41:42 -0700

om

simy1 wrote:
wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Where do you live?. Does anyone near you grow vegetables? If so, go
talk to them.

I live in north Missouri

From what I gather here..... it sound like growing a
food garden all year round is just impossible without a
significant investment in infrastructure

I guess I better move to Big Island Hawaii and do it
there! g

Huh? A PVC pipe for each hoop costs $1.60. 100 feet of 12 ft poly costs
$27. The clamps will cost you another $20, and you have to have some
bricks to hold down the poly on windy days (concrete chunks will do as
well). If treated well, the poly lasts three years and the clamps and
hoops last forever. You are looking at $15 per winter harvest.

Works if you don't live in a windy area. It's easier to hold down the
poly than to keep it from tearing. Hoop tunnels 2' or 3' may work
better in windy areas.

Don't expect summer crops under glass. It's too expensive to heat and
light. Still cheaper to air freight from the south. Winter hardy
stuff like lettuce and greens can grow in unheated hoop structures or
the regular cold frame..

From ???@??? Fri Jan 01 00:00:00 1999
From: "simy1"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
round?
Date: 23 Aug 2006 16:50:55 -0700

om
.com

James wrote:

Huh? A PVC pipe for each hoop costs $1.60. 100 feet of 12 ft poly costs
$27. The clamps will cost you another $20, and you have to have some
bricks to hold down the poly on windy days (concrete chunks will do as
well). If treated well, the poly lasts three years and the clamps and
hoops last forever. You are looking at $15 per winter harvest.

Works if you don't live in a windy area. It's easier to hold down the
poly than to keep it from tearing. Hoop tunnels 2' or 3' may work
better in windy areas.

I live in a fairly windy area. It took me a couple winters to get the
tunnels down pat. You need clamps, double clamps at the end of the
tunnels, and a smooth tunnel with some poly laying on the path, wieghed
down by bricks, so that no air can get inside. I never had a blowout
when there is deep snow, it seals the tunnels perfectly.

From ???@??? Fri Jan 01 00:00:00 1999
From: "simy1"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
round?
Date: 27 Aug 2006 11:52:46 -0700

om
.com
. com

William L. Rose wrote:
"simy1",

With your 100' x 12' vinyl, you get a tunnel, that, in a perfect world,
can be no more than 3.82' tall, with a width of 7.64', right?
Practically, what is it? What grade and o.d. PVC pipe do you use for the
hoops? How many and what kind of clamps do you use, and where have you
found it most advantageous to place them? Double clamps? What's that?
Any special fold in the vinyl to seal the tunnel? What important
question didn't I ask?

Yes, the tunnels are low enough that you can crawl under. The beds are
about 25 ft long, and 4ft wide, so one sheet, cut into three, covers
them all with a few feet of waste. You need the sheets to be several
feet longer than the beds to tuck the ends properly.

You buy the PVC pipes at Home Depot that are, from memory, 3/4" thick.
You also buy the 100X12 rolls of clear plastic from the Paint section.
I prefer 4mils, but 6 or even 2 will usually do (I have tried all
three). The PVC pipes are 12 ft long. You cut them at an angle at the
tips, bend them, and stick them one foot into the ground on either
side. Total hoop length: 10 feet.

You can either put a hoop every four feet, which makes it a bit
difficult to maneuver a wheelbarrow, or every 7 feet, like I do, and
them put an extra pipe on top of the hoops for extra strength, secured
to the hoops with cable ties and a screw to avoid slipping. The top
pipes are connected to one another with PVC cement and a connector,
exactly as if you were building your plumbing.

Once you have all the hoops in place, and I leave them there, summer
and winter, you garden the beds normally until it is time to cover
them. The clamps can be found at Territorial Seeds and are half
cylinder that clamp onto the pipes tigthly, grabbing the plastic. They
are excellent. The one foot of plastic on either side (12-10=2) can be
held down with bricks. The ends, too, can be held down with bricks. The
secret to keep the tunnels going in windy weather is to make sure as
little air as possible comes in. Specially the ends, I put down a
continuous line of bricks to eliminate air leaks. If there is snow on
the ground, no air comes in and the seal is perfect.

The plastic I am suggesting is not UV-treated and is not indicated for
summer use. In my case, I use it for about 3-4 years, and typically I
toss it due to various mechanical tears, like when I try to get ice off
of it. There is negligible UV degradation in the winter. I cover on the
Thanksgiving weekend and uncover on April 1.

So that give you an ideal maximum protected surface area of 352.79 sq.
ft. with no vinyl to lay the bricks, concrete, heavy somethin' on. What
is the reality? What measurements do you have for height, width, and
usable surface area in your green house?

How is the accessabilty? I'm about 6'2" and 250 lbs, Am I going to need
a mechanic's platform dollie to get in and out of the tunnel?

It will be a bit harder for you to crawl under for winter harvest.
Undoing a tunnel is a chore,
so in the winter I harvest once a week, filling a couple of buckets of
greens. I undo only a section, on one side, then get under the plastic
on my knees. You should, like I do, get organized and have the greens
laid out so you harvest one section at a time. That is, if you have
carrots, beets, radicchio, and collard, you should have one row of
each, so you only need to uncover that section for a complete harvest.
Then there is no need for crawling up and down the bed, and no need to
uncover more than one section. Opening a section means removing the
clamps on two consecutive hoops on one side only. The plastic will have
enough slack to let you knee under it.

Tunnels are much better than greenhouses. They are cheaper, much warmer
for the same insulation, the thermal ballast is the soil itself (you
must not mulch), and they never run out of CO2, as greenhouses do,
because soil with high organic content will give off plenty of it. In
Michigan, the soil under the tunnels freezes for time periods of order
one or two days, but one sunny day is enough to unfreeze it. Outside
the tunnels, the soil freezes for about 10 weeks straight. I have two
hoophouses as well, but for a starter, tunnels are the best. Also, if
you seed under the tunnels in march, stuff will come up much earlier.

Sorry for so many questions but I already have enough chores and I'd
like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks for your time,
- Bill

--

- Billy

Old 20-04-2009, 12:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I would have a greenhouse too, but the kids and cops would want to
constantly peek inside. Would be fun to build, though.
Old 20-04-2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in XXtreme SW Utah at 3900' elev., north of St. George. ........
Anyway, my neighbor built himself a greenhouse. ....... Now, my wife wants
one. So do I.

........ All tips appreciated

I'd say the best thing to do would be to seek out some knowledgable, local
resources specific to your area. Contrary to popular belief the innerweb is
not your only path to enlightenment.

USU has a wonderful County Extension Service. You pay taxes for their
research and the use of their vast knowledge is generally FREE. The
information from Washington County Extension Service would even be specific
to YOUR location. http://extension.usu.edu/washington/ I found quite a few
resources on their site pertaining to building greenhouses just for your
area. The people at this agency are eager to help you; it's their job and
most of the agents even like their job. I looked at the 'contact us' link
and there's a picture of a nice, friendly looking man with his name, Rick
Hefelbower, and phone number. Apparently you could even call him and have a
little personal chat about the greenhouses that might work for you. I'll bet
he could even give you information on where to find materials. He'd probably
also mail you a shit load of information to help you make a well informed
decision if you asked nice.

Have you gone to the library to see what they have in the way of books on
building greenhouses for your location? Books are great, they have pictures
and diagrams and all kinds of stuff like that. Here's a handy little map
incase you have no idea where your closest libraries are located in
Washington County, Utah. http://tiny.cc/aEmfb The books are free to borrow
if you have a library card. Library cards are free too! The very nice, well
trained librarians will even lead you to the section where these books are
kept and point them out to you. They generally also have a file full of the
pamphlets and published material from your County Extension Service...just
ask the nice librarian, they are there to help you. If you don't have a
Library Card you are still welcomed to look at the books and magazines and
other stuff right there in the library. They even have chairs and tables for
your convenience while browsing.

Val

Old 21-04-2009, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Well, Charlie, thanks for the helpful response.

Old 21-04-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote

shitload of relevant information for my area snipped

Thanks a lot. That should keep me busy till fall.

Steve

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
Are double glazed greenhouses feasible ?? gray United Kingdom 6 08-02-2003 09:08 PM
Greenhouses Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:27 PM
Greenhouses CK United Kingdom 0 04-02-2003 08:53 AM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM