Old 20-04-2009, 02:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Wolf K[_2_] Wolf K[_2_] is offline

Default trouble uploading pic

dogsandcats wrote:
thank you wolf k. I am using windows but no specific program, I do
exactly asyou
as you say, click on attachment, then a box pops up and the I click
browse file, and navigate to thejpeg saved on my desktop and highlight
and click open, then it says upload failed
any ideas? thanks

Oh, yes, you are using a specific program -- Internet Explorer, to
access the website on which you read this news group. (The fact that
you think you are not using a specific program indicates why Microsoft's
"user friendly" operating system is in fact a bad way to do things. It
doesn't help you understand what you are doing.)

As for ideas --

a) Take Bob Hobden's advice about finding out more about what you can do
on/with the Gardenbanter website.

b) Use Outlook Express as a newsgroup reader. You will have to set up a
newsgroup account. For that you need to know the address of a news
server. Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to find out if they
have a news server, and what its address is. You need the server's
address to set up a newsgroup account.
If your ISP doesn't have a news server, then you will have to find a
free or subscription-based one. Google on "Usenet news servers." I use
Newshosting, other people like Giganews. Both cost about $10 a month for
basic service.

c) Get a newsgroup reader (client). I use Thunderbird, which is free. It
is primarily an e-mail client (program), but it is OK as a news reader,
too. You will have to know a few things to set up e-mail and newsgroup
accounts on it. The main advantage is that it looks a lot like Outlook,
so you won't find it strange. (There are some really _serious_ news
readers out there, but I've found them all to have very quirky user
interfaces, and none suits my style.)
BTW, Thunderbird has couple of advantages over Outlook, chief of which
is that it doesn't open your system to malware attacks as easily as
Outlook does.

cheers,

wolf k.