Old 19-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Default trouble uploading pic

Please could you help identify this plant in my picture. I hope you dont mind if its really obvious, as I am a gardening novice. I have cut it back but it seems to grow back at a very fast rate and is getting very big, is it going to have nice flowers, please could you give me the name so I can google it!

Thanks for your help
keep trying to upload my pic by clicking manage attachments and get upload failed, dont know why??? it is only 74kb and jpeg format please could you help with this too sorry! it does say I may post attachments
Old 19-04-2009, 06:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats" wrote...
: Thanks for your help keep trying to upload my pic by clicking
: manage attachments and get upload failed, dont know why??? It
: is only 74kb and jpeg format please could you help with this
: too sorry! It does say I may post attachments

Try using Outlook Express to connect to your newserver.

Contact your ISP and ask them what their news-server names are.
And ask them how to configure Outlook Express to connect to the
newsgroups. Sometimes they require a user-id and password to so
connect to the NNTP server, sometimes not. It seems very silly
to use a web-page to do this kind of stuff, so insist to them
that you'd like to connect through their news-server.

With Outlook Express, an Attach button with a picture of a paper
clip exists and you'd use that to attach a file or picture to
your message.

--
Jim Carlock

Old 19-04-2009, 07:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

dogsandcats wrote:
Please could you help identify this plant in my picture. I hope you dont
mind if its really obvious, as I am a gardening novice. I have cut it
back but it seems to grow back at a very fast rate and is getting very
big, is it going to have nice flowers, please could you give me the
name so I can google it!

Thanks for your help
keep trying to upload my pic by clicking manage attachments and get
upload failed, dont know why??? it is only 74kb and jpeg format please
could you help with this too sorry! it does say I may post attachments

Can't help if you don't specify which program you are usinsg.

Generally, you must navigate to the attachment (image) you want,
highlight its file name, and then click Attach/Open/Ok/etc, depending on
the program you use.

HTH

wolf k.
Old 19-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Registered User

thank you wolf k. I am using windows but no specific program, I do exactly asyou
as you say, click on attachment, then a box pops up and the I click browse file, and navigate to thejpeg saved on my desktop and highlight and click open, then it says upload failed
any ideas? thanks
Old 19-04-2009, 10:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats"
Please could you help identify this plant in my picture. I hope you dont
mind if its really obvious, as I am a gardening novice. I have cut it
back but it seems to grow back at a very fast rate and is getting very
big, is it going to have nice flowers, please could you give me the
name so I can google it!

Thanks for your help
keep trying to upload my pic by clicking manage attachments and get
upload failed, dont know why??? it is only 74kb and jpeg format please
could you help with this too sorry! it does say I may post attachments

You are using the web based "Gardenbanter" instead of coming here direct via
your mail client, "Outlook Express", or whatever. This is a Newsgroup, part
of Usenet, one of the oldest parts of the internet.
Go to "Tools" and find Newsgroups, download all the newsgroups your ISP
takes and then look for this one ... alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and then
subscribe (costs nothing).
Some ISPs have stopped taking binary newsgroups in which case change your
ISP.
You then just attach your photo to your post just like a normal e-mail.

Alternatively with Gardenbanter you have to upload your photo to their site
and post a link here or as you are probably UK based, on uk.rec.gardening.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-04-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:46:41 +0100, dogsandcats wrote:

Please could you help identify this plant in my picture. I hope you dont
mind if its really obvious, as I am a gardening novice. I have cut it
back but it seems to grow back at a very fast rate and is getting very
big, is it going to have nice flowers, please could you give me the name
so I can google it!

Thanks for your help
keep trying to upload my pic by clicking manage attachments and get
upload failed, dont know why??? it is only 74kb and jpeg format please
could you help with this too sorry! it does say I may post attachments

What news client are you using?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 20-04-2009, 04:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats" wrote...
:
: thank you wolf k. I am using windows but no specific program, I do
: exactly asyou
: as you say, click on attachment, then a box pops up and the I click
: browse file, and navigate to thejpeg saved on my desktop and highlight
: and click open, then it says upload failed
: any ideas? thanks
:

Sometimes files become "locked". If that's the case, it means some other
application has that file opened and when you try to upload, the upload
fails.

You might want to make sure no other software has that file open. Then
you might want to try to drag and drop the file into another folder to
see if you can do that. If you can, and it moves the file try to drag
and drop it to the web-page in question. If not, it might present some
message stating which program has the file open.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/contact/

Old 20-04-2009, 08:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats" wrote

thank you wolf k. I am using windows but no specific program, I do
exactly asyou
as you say, click on attachment, then a box pops up and the I click
browse file, and navigate to thejpeg saved on my desktop and highlight
and click open, then it says upload failed
any ideas? thanks

Read my comprehensive reply if the web site you use has allowed it to be
published on their site, your problem is in how you are accessing this
newsgroup. Check out how their site tells you to upload photos.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered User

You are using the web based "Gardenbanter" instead of coming here direct via
your mail client, "Outlook Express", or whatever. This is a Newsgroup, part
of Usenet, one of the oldest parts of the internet.
Go to "Tools" and find Newsgroups, download all the newsgroups your ISP
takes and then look for this one ... alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and then
subscribe (costs nothing).
Some ISPs have stopped taking binary newsgroups in which case change your
ISP.
You then just attach your photo to your post just like a normal e-mail.

Alternatively with Gardenbanter you have to upload your photo to their site
and post a link here or as you are probably UK based, on uk.rec.gardening.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London[/quote]

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful. Please could you tell me how to upload my photo to the gardenbanter site, Bob said:

"Alternatively with Gardenbanter you have to upload your photo to their site
and post a link here or as you are probably UK based, on uk.rec.gardening."

I am UK based and my ISP is sky and I am trying to find out from them how to subscribe via outlook express. uk.rec.gardening just comes up as a google search result but not something I get my photo onto, please could you give me the full address or instructions on how to upload my photo.

Sorry for being so troublesome (bet when we do get round to seeing the pic it will be something of a letdown!)
Old 20-04-2009, 02:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

dogsandcats wrote:
thank you wolf k. I am using windows but no specific program, I do
exactly asyou
as you say, click on attachment, then a box pops up and the I click
browse file, and navigate to thejpeg saved on my desktop and highlight
and click open, then it says upload failed
any ideas? thanks

Oh, yes, you are using a specific program -- Internet Explorer, to
access the website on which you read this news group. (The fact that
you think you are not using a specific program indicates why Microsoft's
"user friendly" operating system is in fact a bad way to do things. It
doesn't help you understand what you are doing.)

As for ideas --

a) Take Bob Hobden's advice about finding out more about what you can do
on/with the Gardenbanter website.

b) Use Outlook Express as a newsgroup reader. You will have to set up a
newsgroup account. For that you need to know the address of a news
server. Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to find out if they
have a news server, and what its address is. You need the server's
address to set up a newsgroup account.
If your ISP doesn't have a news server, then you will have to find a
free or subscription-based one. Google on "Usenet news servers." I use
Newshosting, other people like Giganews. Both cost about $10 a month for
basic service.

c) Get a newsgroup reader (client). I use Thunderbird, which is free. It
is primarily an e-mail client (program), but it is OK as a news reader,
too. You will have to know a few things to set up e-mail and newsgroup
accounts on it. The main advantage is that it looks a lot like Outlook,
so you won't find it strange. (There are some really _serious_ news
readers out there, but I've found them all to have very quirky user
interfaces, and none suits my style.)
BTW, Thunderbird has couple of advantages over Outlook, chief of which
is that it doesn't open your system to malware attacks as easily as
Outlook does.

cheers,

wolf k.

Old 20-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

dogsandcats wrote:

I am UK based and my ISP is sky and I am trying to find out from them how
to subscribe via outlook express. uk.rec.gardening just comes up as a
google search result but not something I get my photo onto, please could
you give me the full address or instructions on how to upload my photo.

Can't do what you want, because you do not have a newsgroup account
(that is, you haven't got a way of subscribing to this news group.) You
must set up such an account on your computer first.

Actually, I think it's time you found a real live person who can come to
your house and take you through the process step by step. This
long-distance hand-holding isn't working very well. Surely there is
someone amongst your friends'n'relations who can help you do this? If
not, it's worth your while to find a beginner's computing course - start
by enquiring at your library. Some School Councils offer evening
classes. Etc.

Second, we can try written instructions, again.

You must have a valid news server address. Sky will tell you what it is,
if they have a news server, that is -- a lot of ISPs don't have one. if
It will have several words in it separated by dots (periods), something
like this:
news.SomeNewsServer.co.uk

I don't know whether Sky maintains a news server. If not, you will have
to find a newsgroup server. Here's a list I found by googling on "Usenet
newsgroup servers UK":

http://www.newsparrot.co.uk/

Go to the website of the news service you want to use, and follow their
instructions for registering with them. You will be asked to supply a
user name - make one up and type it in. They may give you a password, or
you may be asked to make one up. If they give you one, it will come by
e-mail. If you have to make one up, use an 8-letter word, plus at least
four numbers. Write down the user name and the password! You will need
them. The website will also give you the news server address - write it
down!

I'm not going to give instructions for Outlook Express, because I do not
use it (I have disabled it on my computer). However, if you know how to
set up an e-mail account on Outlook express, you can figure out how to
set up a newsgroup account, too. It's basically the same process. Just
make sure you have the news server address, etc handy.

However, I _strongly_ recommend that you get Thunderbird.

To get Thunderbird, Click on:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...rbird/all.html

Look for English (British) in the list, then look to its right and click
on the little Windows symbol. A box will come up asking whether you want
to Run or Save this file. Click on Save. A window will open up showing
you where you can Save the file, Click on the Desktop icon, then on
Save. A Window will show the progress of the download. When it's
finished, close Internet Explorer, and find the Thunderbird icon on your
desktop. Click on it, and follow the instructions. Thunderbird will be
installed on your computer.

I've explained how to set up a news group account on Thunderbird - if
you decide to use Thunderbird, I will e-mail these instructions to you
directly. Just report back here what you are doing/have done.

Good luck.

wolf k.
Old 20-04-2009, 05:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats" wrote

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful. Please could you tell me how
to upload my photo to the gardenbanter site, Bob said:

"Alternatively with Gardenbanter you have to upload your photo to their
site
and post a link here or as you are probably UK based, on
uk.rec.gardening."

From the Gb site...
"The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this
forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your
posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will
be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button
at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you
want to attach from your local hard drive.

After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on
the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not
already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the
attachment icon."

I might add you can only send attachments to Binary Groups they will get
stripped out if you try to send to non-binary groups like uk.rec.gardening.

I am UK based and my ISP is sky and I am trying to find out from them how
to subscribe via outlook express. uk.rec.gardening just comes up as a
google search result but not something I get my photo onto, please could
you give me the full address or instructions on how to upload my photo.

I've taken a look at Sky and I don't think they carry Newsgroups at all. So
you either have to stick with GB or take a look at Flicker which gives free
photo space and a link when you upload your photo to their server for you to
then post, or get a Newsgroup account with someone as suggested by Wolf, I
use http://news.individual.net/ at 10 Euros a year but they don't carry
binary groups like this one so no use to you in this case. I use my ISP
which is BT for this newsgroup as they do carry newsgroups including binary
ones.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-04-2009, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"dogsandcats" wrote...
: I am UK based and my ISP is sky and I am trying to find out from
: them how to subscribe via outlook express.

Do you have a link to your ISP?

On the other hand, here's what you need to ask them:

1) Does Sky offer a way to connect to UseNet?
2) Does Sky offer a way to connect to news servers?

You ask the second question just in case the individual you talk
with does not know what UseNet is. They will likely know what a
news server is and when they say, "Yes",

3) Ask them if they have a link you can connect to which tells
you how to connect with Outlook Express.

When they tell you how to connect with Outlook Express, make sure
you click on Tools, then the Options menu item, then a dialog
will open and you click on the Read tab. Make absolutely sure you
place a check mark next to "Read all messages in plain text". If
you leave that unchecked you leave your system open to virus and
all sorts of malware infections.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you
like about Outlook Express. That's what I'm using now and what I
used for over 10 years now.

Smile in the sunshine and laugh in the rain.

Old 23-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered User

mybe your connection is slow

http://www.powertoolsmall.com/Catego...0Trimmers.html