Old 20-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Wolf K[_2_] Wolf K[_2_] is offline

Default trouble uploading pic

dogsandcats wrote:

I am UK based and my ISP is sky and I am trying to find out from them how
to subscribe via outlook express. uk.rec.gardening just comes up as a
google search result but not something I get my photo onto, please could
you give me the full address or instructions on how to upload my photo.

Can't do what you want, because you do not have a newsgroup account
(that is, you haven't got a way of subscribing to this news group.) You
must set up such an account on your computer first.

Actually, I think it's time you found a real live person who can come to
your house and take you through the process step by step. This
long-distance hand-holding isn't working very well. Surely there is
someone amongst your friends'n'relations who can help you do this? If
not, it's worth your while to find a beginner's computing course - start
by enquiring at your library. Some School Councils offer evening
classes. Etc.

Second, we can try written instructions, again.

You must have a valid news server address. Sky will tell you what it is,
if they have a news server, that is -- a lot of ISPs don't have one. if
It will have several words in it separated by dots (periods), something
like this:
news.SomeNewsServer.co.uk

I don't know whether Sky maintains a news server. If not, you will have
to find a newsgroup server. Here's a list I found by googling on "Usenet
newsgroup servers UK":

http://www.newsparrot.co.uk/

Go to the website of the news service you want to use, and follow their
instructions for registering with them. You will be asked to supply a
user name - make one up and type it in. They may give you a password, or
you may be asked to make one up. If they give you one, it will come by
e-mail. If you have to make one up, use an 8-letter word, plus at least
four numbers. Write down the user name and the password! You will need
them. The website will also give you the news server address - write it
down!

I'm not going to give instructions for Outlook Express, because I do not
use it (I have disabled it on my computer). However, if you know how to
set up an e-mail account on Outlook express, you can figure out how to
set up a newsgroup account, too. It's basically the same process. Just
make sure you have the news server address, etc handy.

However, I _strongly_ recommend that you get Thunderbird.

To get Thunderbird, Click on:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...rbird/all.html

Look for English (British) in the list, then look to its right and click
on the little Windows symbol. A box will come up asking whether you want
to Run or Save this file. Click on Save. A window will open up showing
you where you can Save the file, Click on the Desktop icon, then on
Save. A Window will show the progress of the download. When it's
finished, close Internet Explorer, and find the Thunderbird icon on your
desktop. Click on it, and follow the instructions. Thunderbird will be
installed on your computer.

I've explained how to set up a news group account on Thunderbird - if
you decide to use Thunderbird, I will e-mail these instructions to you
directly. Just report back here what you are doing/have done.

Good luck.

wolf k.