Old 21-04-2009, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Vegetable plant prices

On 4/13/2009 1:30 PM, Phisherman wrote:
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

When I want to buy plants, I never (What, never? Well, hardly ever.)
shop at a lumber yard, hardware store, or home improvement megabox
store. For garden tools, fertilizers, and toxics, I often go to one of
those but not for plants. For plants, I go to a well-established
nursery, many of which are found near my home.

Both the high-priced nurseries and the bargain nurseries nearby provide
both individual and six-pack vegetables.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean