Old 13-04-2009, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Vegetable plant prices

Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.
Old 13-04-2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

I bought a nine pack at Wal-Mart for $3.00.

Old 13-04-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"The moderator" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

I bought a nine pack at Wal-Mart for $3.00.

What variety? Early Girl? Ace? Local prices in my area are $2.50 for a
4" pot but they do have a pretty good selection. If I want six packs, I
have to go to non-trendy nurseries where I can still get six packs.

And, yeah, I still have cultural problems with Wally World and the
depletion of currency from the local economy and the way Wally World's
employees are treated.
--

- Billy

Old 14-04-2009, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

I impulse bought my tomatoes from Home Depot and there were no 6-packs of
anything. Bought four singles and two of the 4-inch. Not pleased with
myself for not planning this better, like I tell myself every Spring.......

Old 15-04-2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

I saw Bonni tomato plants, 9 plants to a cellpack at Lowe's for less than
$3. Wally World also had them. Look around. Don't go by one store.

Old 18-04-2009, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:03:22 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

I impulse bought my tomatoes from Home Depot and there were no 6-packs
of anything. Bought four singles and two of the 4-inch. Not pleased
with myself for not planning this better, like I tell myself every
Spring.......

Home Depot is a terrible bargain. Every Spring I have 4 or 5 places I go
to get seedlings and Home Depot is always last on the list. Sometimes
I'll find some exotic herb in a 4" pot there but for the basics I go
elsewhere. You really do have to shop around to find the best deals.

Old 21-04-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 18, 1:03*am, Mark Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:03:22 -0500, cat daddy wrote:
I impulse bought my tomatoes from Home Depot and there were no 6-packs
of anything. Bought four singles and two of *the 4-inch. Not pleased
with myself for not planning this better, like I tell myself every
Spring.......

Home Depot is a terrible bargain. *Every Spring I have 4 or 5 places I go
to get seedlings and Home Depot is always last on the list. *Sometimes
I'll find some exotic herb in a 4" pot there but for the basics I go
elsewhere. *You really do have to shop around to find the best deals.

More and more Heirloom "flea market" style places are cropping up. I
usually get all my annual bedding flowers (marigolds for the tomato
patch, clumps for the rain gutter herb garden, etc) there. Six packs
for about a dollar, many less than that. And a whole lot of hippies,
hillbillies, and weirdos from the hollers who have tons of practical
advice for local growing.
(and at Baker Creek, lots of great music)

cheers

oz, hurrying to catch up
Old 21-04-2009, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/13/2009 1:30 PM, Phisherman wrote:
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15
tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart,
KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each
and I thought how many tomatoes I could buy for 70 dollars? It turns
out buying tomato plants is not such a good deal. If this keeps up
all I will have is strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers, peppers and no
tomato plants. What ever happened to 6-pack plants, or singles for
$1.10? Spoke with the manager and these high-priced tomato plants are
not selling.

When I want to buy plants, I never (What, never? Well, hardly ever.)
shop at a lumber yard, hardware store, or home improvement megabox
store. For garden tools, fertilizers, and toxics, I often go to one of
those but not for plants. For plants, I go to a well-established
nursery, many of which are found near my home.

Both the high-priced nurseries and the bargain nurseries nearby provide
both individual and six-pack vegetables.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 21-04-2009, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

The New Economics Foundation (NEF) says that if every person and
organisation in a town spent 80 per cent of their income in the local
economy, it would generate fives times as much as its original value.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-19473981.html
--

- Billy