Old 21-04-2009, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Time release fertilizers

In article ,
Tim wrote:

snip some interesting reading material

To use chemical fertilizers is to become dependent on them, because they
kill the microbes that would otherwise feed your plants, at no cost, for
you. As you grow microbes, you grow top soil. As you grow topsoil, you
participate in the healing of the planet.

Ok, I've saved the link to see if my library has the book even if
what they report is 100% true.....Don't forget that my soil is a
lifeless thing to begin with. Just a medium to to hold the water and the
plant. So, even if I am stuck using a man-made fertilizer, as long as
the plant grows well, so what? I'm not killing anything in any
soil.....I grow in a "fake" soil, and fertilize with "fake" food...My
plants grow well.....I'm happy....No Eco-devastation, kinda like
growing hydro...Just gimme some sun, not the snow we are supposed to get
tonight.

Meditate Grasshopper.

Well.....Give me a day to think...I'll get back to ya. 8--)
Actually, lemme see if the library has the book.
I don't have a closed mind, but in my mini-environment, I just don't
see where it will make a difference. If I can use a produced fertilizer
and get the same results without a negative impact, whats the diff?

You have your captive plant, out of its' natural habitat and you don't
care about it's natural way of eating, so you are going to feed it slop.
Your plant is protected from insects that will sense the sudden build up
of nitrogen in its' tender fast growing leaves? Where do you plan on
dumping the excess water (chemferts) from the plant?

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!
Sir Walter Scott

You cheat your plant. You fudge on helping the planet. You are an
embarrassment to ecologists. You are of no help to anyone. When the
planet dies, you may not protest.

You are no Grasshopper of mine. Be gone.
--

- Billy