Old 21-04-2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Frogs........

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:40:48 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

Where are the frogs? We heard them a few weeks
back and now..... nothing! By now we also usually
see them all around and in the ponds. Many small ones
that managed to get through the netting. All I heard last
night was one lone frog calling from somewhere in the
distance? Are the frog numbers normal where you are?

Up until a few weeks ago I was wondering that myself. We had
virtually no rain here in January, February, March, well, right up
until the end, and I mean the night of the 31st we got about an inch,
then the next day (in April) another inch, and another during the
following week. Before then, no frogs, things were
uncharacteristically quiet in the evening. Then it got wet, and
Bingo! The frogs are really back in business now. It almost seems
that they are louder than ever, and the registers seem to be more full
now, there are more bass and baritone frogs than there used to be.

I noticed some turtles, too. The back pond isn't free of duckweed by
any means but this is the first time in two years that the pond hasn't
been entirely covered with duckweed. I think some turtles may
actually eat enough of it to make a difference.