Old 21-04-2009, 09:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_19_] Jonno[_19_] is offline

Default Killing kikuyu grass - fruit tree ok.

Regarding Roundup.
This will not sterilise the soil, but its supposed to deactivate when it
hits the soil.
I'm not sure but sertain weed killers have now been found to kill frogs
or at least sterilise them. In the end its the same thing. Will check up
on these facts and get back here..
Mean time, boiling water is being used by some councils, and steam would
be better, but it still cant get to the roots so round up will have to
so in some instances...

Rusty Naylor wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:12:31 +1000, YMC wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand.

Yes, perhaps. But unfortunately I do not have the time or strength to weed
out a 6m x 4m patch.

If I wanted to plant vegetables etc. in a particular garden bed I'd water
that garden bed 24 hours before I start turning the area over with a garden
fork and probably start during July in preparation for a late August or
early September planting.

I'd water and turn the garden bed over often as time permitted.

I have plenty of time available but can no longer kneel on the prayer mat
to pull out Kikuyu. :-(

I'm currently getting good sun and rain in Melbourne now. The wild tomato
plant thats been growing next to the patch is doing well. But no sign of
mass kikuyu regrowth.

Sorry to say the Kikuyu will most probably return. If you have/had Kikuyu I
daresay your neighbours will still have Kikuyu.

In garden beds I prefer not to use poisons that sterilise the soil because
while they will kill your Kikuyu (for the time being) they can also stop
your plants & vegetables from flourishing.

I haven't planted much in the garden in the last couple of years and have
only made small plantings in pots, because of water restrictions.

I weed out the few kikuyu grass I see - usually on the fringes. But by and
large they are all dead.

If you keep at it you will be in control, you MUST keep at it though. :-)