Old 21-04-2009, 12:01 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_19_] Jonno[_19_] is offline

Default Killing kikuyu grass - fruit tree ok.

I wish you wouldn't fall for people who say bottom posting it the way to
go. I think it shows a certain conformity to being easily led.
As far as not wanting to use weed killer. That's up to you.
I prefer to do things the best way possible, taking all things into
account. Getting onto my hands and knees isn't one of them, unless its a
very small area..
In a modern society we should use the best way which does not screw things.
I'm afraid that certain chemicals do unforeseen damage.
So its up to us to do as little damage as possible.
Its seems even DDT had a place in our evolution and the population
explosion. The side effects were awful.
Watering the soil doesn't seem logical. Steam sterilisation does
however. This method isn't practical for home gardeners and seems to be
the domain of nurseries.
There is something to be said of not using weed killers. But also of not
classifying all weed killers as having a dangerous effect. Each has its
purpose.
Unfortunately, like medicines, each has its side effects. This is where
I reckon corporations like "de santo" only publicise the positives and
not the negatives. We should all be aware of them.
The negatives of weeding are all well known. Labour intensive and not as
affective as we like.
Solerisation is another way of sterilising an area, providing there is
enough sun.
See here http://www.agri.huji.ac.il/~katan/about.html

This usually means covering an area with plastic, and leaving it for a
while, (1 to 2 months) making sure its kept wet enough to transfer heat
to soil underneath. Easy, but the side effect? It kills beneficial soil
bacteria. But with intelligence, can be restored to normal levels, also
needing more intelligence.

I'm not sure but certain weed killers have now been found to kill frogs
or at least sterilise them. In the end its the same thing. Will check up
on these facts and get back here..
Mean time, boiling water is being used by some councils, and steam would
be better, but it still cant get to the roots so round up will have to
so in some instances...

I wish you wouldn't top post Jonno but that is your choice.

OK so Roundup doesn't sterilise the soil but I don't want to use weed
killer.

I can't get down on my hands and knees now to pull out kikuyu which is why
I suggested watering the soil and turning over the garden bed with a garden
fork.
--

John