Old 24-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default Granada

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.f0811b5dd6f59eedee55615dec61b7e6@104 6020407.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:

Oh, Daniel, it is most beautiful in the fall. How large is the plant?

Only about 18 inches, Shiva. But I have some similar plantings from
last July at 6' now, so let's see what I can coax out of this one. :-)

Daniel, can you smell it? I've never had a single bloom that didn't
have the most outstanding fragrance. And, the thing is, you get a
wholly different form and quality of color if you bring the buds
inside to open. You get more of a spiral effect.

Yes, it smells good all right! I'll remember you tips on cutting.
There are many other varieties that I'd say the same for, including
Paradise, Black Velvet, Voodoo and Dame Elisabeth Murdoch.

What is a self-watering pot? And, when will you put it in the ground?

You've never seen a self-watering pot? Here's some:

http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre...ets/decor2.php

They are different from a normal pot with a water saucer. The base of
the pot is a concealed water reservoir. Water is kept away from direct
contact with the roots in the pot by an overflow hole, preventing
waterlogging. The roots can access water by capillary action through a
'wick' in the centre of the base which connects the reservoir to the
soil. Very popular in dry climates like Australia. My roses work
beautifully with them.

As to when I might put it in the ground? Well, that depends. I have a
revolving system of potted 'reserve' roses ready to replace those that
die or get shovel-pruned. So far my reserves are La Passionata (
probably the best red I have ever grown) and now Granada. I am very
keen to get La Passionata in next so Granada may have to wait... but
I'll take good care of her Shiva!