Old 24-04-2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Frogs........

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

Up until a few weeks ago I was wondering that myself. We had
virtually no rain here in January, February, March, well, right up
until the end, and I mean the night of the 31st we got about an inch,
then the next day (in April) another inch, and another during the
following week. Before then, no frogs, things were
uncharacteristically quiet in the evening. Then it got wet, and
Bingo! The frogs are really back in business now. It almost seems
that they are louder than ever, and the registers seem to be more full
now, there are more bass and baritone frogs than there used to be.

I noticed some turtles, too. The back pond isn't free of duckweed by
any means but this is the first time in two years that the pond hasn't
been entirely covered with duckweed. I think some turtles may
actually eat enough of it to make a difference.

====================Sounds like you have drought conditions where you live.

We've been getting plenty of rain this spring. I've seen a few tiny frogs
on the lawn and in the flower beds in the past few days, but no adults
breeding in the ponds. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any turtles
in the neighbor's stock pond either.

The nights are so unnaturally quiet it's almost creepy. :-\
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.