Old 25-04-2009, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default What constitutes a flower as " wild"

In message , K
writes
Jimgentracer writes

Does anyone know if a bluebell is in my garden, does that make it not a
wild flower and the same question goes, if I find a rose on a towpath
hedgerow is that making it a wild flower?

Usually a wild flower is taken to mean a british native, so the English
bluebell in your garden is a wild flower being cultivated in the
garden, and if the rose in the towpath hedgerow is a garden variety (as
opposed to a dog rose or one of the other british native species) then
it's a garden escape, not a wild flower.

Bit like animals. The hedgehog in your garden is still a wild animal,
even if you feed it nightly, whereas the cat living along the canal is
feral, not wild.

Agreed. There are some plants listed in Schedule 8 of the Wildlife &
Countryside Act 1981 which are protected under Section 13 of the Act in
that they may not be picked or destroyed. It also states that all wild
plants may not be uprooted but, from memory it does not define 'wild'.

--
Robert