Old 26-04-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Houseman Doug  Houseman is offline

Default Can I grow bulbs under tree mulch?

In article 42,
Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that shreds
trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to drop off a
truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the mulch
( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I plant them
under it?

Like tulips?

Large flowering bulbs will come up thru 4 inches of mulch (e.g. daffs,
tulips) and multiply and return year after year. Small flowering bulbs
(e.g. crocus) will flower, but will struggle to come back year after
year. They will not have enough leaf area above the mulch to gather the
energy to multiply and grow back strongly.