Old 27-04-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sarah Houston Sarah Houston is offline

Default Can I grow bulbs under tree mulch?

Doug Houseman wrote :

In article 42,
Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that
shreds trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to
drop off a truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the
mulch ( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I
plant them under it?

Like tulips?

Large flowering bulbs will come up thru 4 inches of mulch (e.g.
daffs, tulips) and multiply and return year after year. Small
flowering bulbs (e.g. crocus) will flower, but will struggle to come
back year after year. They will not have enough leaf area above the
mulch to gather the energy to multiply and grow back strongly.

Thanks Doug.

I wonder about dahlias.

But those are annuals anyway, I guess.