Old 27-04-2009, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ellis Morgan Ellis Morgan is offline

Default identify these flowers

In article , Spider
writes

"Ellis Morgan" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Spider" wrote ...
"Ellis Morgan" asked
I saw these flowers a couple of days ago in the Dean Garnier gardens
next
to Winchester cathedral. Please can someone help me identify them and if
you can provide a url reference about them that is even better..

The first one looks a bit like Star of Bethlehem - but the front of the
petals is slightly yellow and the back tinged with pink.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang01.jpg

The second looks a bit like the Cosmos family, but I can find a picture
of a Cosmos that looks like it.
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/deang02.JPG

I don't know where those capital letters "JPG" crept in so watch out if
you type it. Thanks in advance.

The first is a form of botanical tulip, but I don't know which. Try
googling a few of the well-known bulb suppliers: Bloms, Avon,
Broadleigh,
Parkers, ... loads more, but I can't call them to mind just now.

Tulipa clusiana or variety of?

Many thanks to everyone for all your replies.

There can be no doubt you are all right about the pasque flower, it is
interesting that it grows wild on chalklands in the south of England.

I have looked at several pictures of tulipa clusiana, none of them were
identical to the one in my photo, but the similarities were enough to
make me think I could drop your question mark after "variety of". Here is
a picture from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulipa_clusiana
and here is part of my picture shown next to it
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/compare.jpg

--
Ellis Morgan

There is certainly a very strong likeness to T. cluisiana, especially if you
bear in mind that one flower appears freshly open, and the other long open,
petals reflexed and bleached by the sun.

Spider

variety = cynthia?
http://www.paghat.com/tulipacynthia.html

probably the end, and thanks again