Old 27-04-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Pieris red tip leaves gone yellow

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "john martin" contains these words:

a short while ago put some Pieris Forest Flame in some pots with some new
john innes no 3 soil.

the growing tip leaves instead of being red have turned a pale yellow.

Do you mean, they were red when they emerged and are now yellow. Or,
they emerged yellow (when you expected them to be red).

If its the latter, many pieris do that throughout their lives, and the
new yellow shoots soon turn red (or pink) as they expand and mature.

However, JI no 3 contains lime, and pieris prefer acid soils. They
would do better in an ericaceous compost.

http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.php

Janet

My Pieris was labelled "Silver Flame", and the leaves emerge red in
colour then turn green/yellow, and the "silver" bell-like berries appear
later.

I think it is more attractive than most Pieris I have seen. (So
there)!

Sorry - IKR 'Peiris' A .........

--
Rusty