Old 28-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Sled Sled is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by por911t View Post
Now that spring is just about upon us I need some help in creating the perfect lawn to work on and enjoy over the coming summer months . I moved into the house at Christmas . Lawn is currently a bit ratty with some moss in areas . Need help with the various stages of development required to create the desired effect . I stay nr Glasgow in the west of Scotland so irrigation isnt a problem !!

Your kind assistance is much appreciated - thanks - Barry
Barry, take a look at Love the garden.com site. It's great for assistance and setting up a calendar of activities that you need to do to your lawn i.e. it takes you through spring, summer and autumn. It is very clearly a front for Evergreen and Scotts products so exercise caution there. That said, I am a complete novice and have have gone out and got Evergreen Complete and a Scotts rotary spreader which should save money in the long run compared to getting the pro's in. I've just given my lawn a good cut and three days later, before this heavy rain, treated it with a spreading of Evergreen Complete so I await the results which should be in about a week. My next step is to source a more professional bulk alternative (see my thread).

The golden rules as far as I know (although only a novice) are;
(1) mow regularly (weekly/10 days) but not too short.
(2) From time to time spike your lawn with a fork or hollow tine it for aeration
(3) periodic scarifying to remove moss and thatch is good if necessary

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sled