Old 30-04-2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Rick Samuel Rick Samuel is offline

Default Pond enlargement

"Jim and Phyllis" wrote in message
Rick,

Nice to have you back in the group.

Folks will have a lot of good advice for you about size and flow. Let
me be the first to cheer for your improvement.

Then let me be the first to suggest the benefit of an out of pond
veggie filter or even a bog as compared to a regular filter. Lots
less cleaning. Just a slow flow through lots of nutrient grabbing/
mechanical filtering plant roots. If you have a good drain, you can
clean it every year or so by opening the drain and flushing with pond
water.

Phyllis and I have 3,900 gal total, with 1,000 gal in the berm ponds.
Easy to maintain and beautiful...we think.

Our pond and veggie filters are at:
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley.

Jim

Nice set-up, thanks. That was one of my first thoughts was a bog filter,
to add to our current pond. But when we thought about expanding, kinda
slipped to the wayside. Thanks for bringing it up. Have room for it, Ha!
less to mow.

I'm in the mid-east till Jan. so have time to work this all out. I suspect
it may be a year to get the hunny-do list down to 2-3 pages....

Parrot's Feather almost took over our pond a few years ago. Confined to a
bog would work great. Hyacinth dies out each year, as water lettuce. We
collect it from the San Marcos river....it's illegal to move it in TX, but
as it goes into an enclosed system, no escape.

Can you give a breakdown of your plumbing? No rush, have 8 mo. yet.