Old 29-04-2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond enlargement

Hello all, haven't been here in a while. Built my pond in 2000, it's about
1000 gal. Everything went well, learned a bunch.

Well, SWMBO wants a bigger one, and I retire in a few months, so I suspect
this is to keep me off the streets. G Gonna be about 2500 gal, not a Koi
pond, just bait store GF, and a bunch of plants. GF get to fair size if the
herons do make it a Mcfish fast food.

My question is about a "Skippy" type filter, what gph feeds this type
filter? Old filters were in the pond. Want external. I read a 100 gal
Rubbermaid tub is good for 3000 gal. But how much to the input side, 50gph,
200gph?

Thanks

Old 29-04-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Rick,

Nice to have you back in the group.

Folks will have a lot of good advice for you about size and flow. Let
me be the first to cheer for your improvement.

Then let me be the first to suggest the benefit of an out of pond
veggie filter or even a bog as compared to a regular filter. Lots
less cleaning. Just a slow flow through lots of nutrient grabbing/
mechanical filtering plant roots. If you have a good drain, you can
clean it every year or so by opening the drain and flushing with pond
water.

Phyllis and I have 3,900 gal total, with 1,000 gal in the berm ponds.
Easy to maintain and beautiful...we think.

Our pond and veggie filters are at: http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley.

Jim

Old 30-04-2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Jim and Phyllis" wrote in message
Rick,

Nice to have you back in the group.

Folks will have a lot of good advice for you about size and flow. Let
me be the first to cheer for your improvement.

Then let me be the first to suggest the benefit of an out of pond
veggie filter or even a bog as compared to a regular filter. Lots
less cleaning. Just a slow flow through lots of nutrient grabbing/
mechanical filtering plant roots. If you have a good drain, you can
clean it every year or so by opening the drain and flushing with pond
water.

Phyllis and I have 3,900 gal total, with 1,000 gal in the berm ponds.
Easy to maintain and beautiful...we think.

Our pond and veggie filters are at:
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley.

Jim

Nice set-up, thanks. That was one of my first thoughts was a bog filter,
to add to our current pond. But when we thought about expanding, kinda
slipped to the wayside. Thanks for bringing it up. Have room for it, Ha!
less to mow.

I'm in the mid-east till Jan. so have time to work this all out. I suspect
it may be a year to get the hunny-do list down to 2-3 pages....

Parrot's Feather almost took over our pond a few years ago. Confined to a
bog would work great. Hyacinth dies out each year, as water lettuce. We
collect it from the San Marcos river....it's illegal to move it in TX, but
as it goes into an enclosed system, no escape.

Can you give a breakdown of your plumbing? No rush, have 8 mo. yet.

Old 30-04-2009, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Rick,

Nice to have you back in the group.

Folks will have a lot of good advice for you about size and flow. Let
me be the first to cheer for your improvement.

Then let me be the first to suggest the benefit of an out of pond
veggie filter or even a bog as compared to a regular filter. Lots
less cleaning. Just a slow flow through lots of nutrient grabbing/
mechanical filtering plant roots. If you have a good drain, you can
clean it every year or so by opening the drain and flushing with pond
water.

Phyllis and I have 3,900 gal total, with 1,000 gal in the berm ponds.
Easy to maintain and beautiful...we think.

Our pond and veggie filters are at:
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley.

Jim

Forgot how nice a setup your pond is. Good work you two!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I will definitely second the ease and benefit of a veggie filter. Because I only
have a 25' x 25' back yard my 1600 gallon partly above ground koi pond has a veggie
filter that sits on TOP of the pond along two edges.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
I even have a veggie filter sits inside my pond for winter. I do not use "low" water
plants like hyacinths instead use water celery and cyperus (papyrus) that grow
upright and take less space per huge root ball. INgrid

Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

How'd your water cress do?

I put water cress in black mesh baskets that have pipe insulation noodles
cut to size and ziplocked on to the top edge, makes the basket float at the
surface. Nothing else within basket, creates a nice green island. And they
survived nicely all winter! Granted they reduce in size as winter goes on,
but they're coming back strong now. ~ jan

On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:35:13 EDT, wrote:

[...]

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My rule of thumb is that the pump should be capable of turning the pond
capacity at least once per hour. More is better. I had a 90 gallon pond
with a 5-gallon homemade "Skippy" fed by a 300 gallon per hour pump that
worked great for years. I now have an 1800 gallon pond with a 2400 gallon
per hour pump operating a Savio waterfall with skimmer and all is well for
two years now.

Bryan
Dallas, TX

Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"sbryan" wrote in message
My rule of thumb is that the pump should be capable of turning the pond
capacity at least once per hour. More is better. I had a 90 gallon pond
with a 5-gallon homemade "Skippy" fed by a 300 gallon per hour pump that
worked great for years. I now have an 1800 gallon pond with a 2400 gallon
per hour pump operating a Savio waterfall with skimmer and all is well for
two years now.

Bryan
Dallas, TX

Yes, water changes at least once an hour, so I assume ALL the water goes
thru the biofilter, none bypasses and goes straight to the pond from pump.
Thinking of two 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tubs as the bio. One stepped
down from the first, gravity flow. Seems as tho asking a lot of gravity,
thru 4" PVC connectors. The pump I'm looking at is a Sequence 750 series,
4200 with leaf basket, 2800gph with the head I'll have.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I sent 2 posts the other day - neither show up?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan,

Have you a pic of your cress island?

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

water cress died before rooting. I think I will stick to water celery which thrives
for me. Ingrid

On Sun, 3 May 2009 20:03:57 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
How'd your water cress do?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your flow through rate may be too fast for settlement in a veggie
filter. How long will it take it to pass throught your filter?

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 5 May 2009 12:33:08 EDT, theilliniguy
wrote:

I sent 2 posts the other day - neither show up?

Do you have any other information? The more information we have, the
more likely it is that our looking into it might do some good.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Not yet, but will eventually. ~ jan

Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 5 May 2009 12:32:27 EDT, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

Yes, water changes at least once an hour, so I assume ALL the water goes
thru the biofilter, none bypasses and goes straight to the pond from pump.
Thinking of two 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tubs as the bio. One stepped
down from the first, gravity flow. Seems as tho asking a lot of gravity,
thru 4" PVC connectors. The pump I'm looking at is a Sequence 750 series,
4200 with leaf basket, 2800gph with the head I'll have.

Niagara seems to manage well on gravity. ;-) Question is, are the bulkheads
big enough to allow the gph you want to pass thru fast enough? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: