Old 30-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Radar Radar is offline

Default Blue Whatizit - Wildflowers-at-Base-of-Oak.jpg (1/1)

"Donn Thorson" wrote in message
2009: Taken two weeks ago...These small flowers are growing at the base
of an Oak tree at the Scotch Settlement Cemetery (est.1835)...just a
stones throw from my house.

Those are Scilla siberica, or Siberian Squill....although everyone I know
just calls them Scillas. They're probably my very favourite early, small
bulb because they're one of the few that will actually survive here and they
will spread themselves nicely without any help. Glory of the Snow
(Chionodoxa) is another one that will usually survive here, but Crocus only
survive a year or two if you can get them to grow at all, and Snowdrops are
probably even harder. The Tulips all do well, but Narcissus/Daffodils are
difficult too, except in really sheltered areas.

Regards,
Rick A