Old 30-04-2009, 09:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Blue Whatizit - Wildflowers-at-Base-of-Oak.jpg (1/1)

2009: Taken two weeks ago...These small flowers are growing at the base
of an Oak tree at the Scotch Settlement Cemetery (est.1835)...just a
stones throw from my house.

Attached Thumbnails
Blue Whatizit  - Wildflowers-at-Base-of-Oak.jpg (1/1)-wildflowers-base-oak.jpg
Old 30-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Donn Thorson" wrote in message
2009: Taken two weeks ago...These small flowers are growing at the base
of an Oak tree at the Scotch Settlement Cemetery (est.1835)...just a
stones throw from my house.

Those are Scilla siberica, or Siberian Squill....although everyone I know
just calls them Scillas. They're probably my very favourite early, small
bulb because they're one of the few that will actually survive here and they
will spread themselves nicely without any help. Glory of the Snow
(Chionodoxa) is another one that will usually survive here, but Crocus only
survive a year or two if you can get them to grow at all, and Snowdrops are
probably even harder. The Tulips all do well, but Narcissus/Daffodils are
difficult too, except in really sheltered areas.

Regards,
Rick A

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Radar" wrote in message

"Donn Thorson" wrote in message
2009: Taken two weeks ago...These small flowers are growing at the base
of an Oak tree at the Scotch Settlement Cemetery (est.1835)...just a
stones throw from my house.

Those are Scilla siberica, or Siberian Squill....although everyone I know
just calls them Scillas. They're probably my very favourite early, small
bulb because they're one of the few that will actually survive here and
they will spread themselves nicely without any help. Glory of the Snow
(Chionodoxa) is another one that will usually survive here, but Crocus
only survive a year or two if you can get them to grow at all, and
Snowdrops are probably even harder. The Tulips all do well, but
Narcissus/Daffodils are difficult too, except in really sheltered areas.

I'm amazed by what you say. Chionodoxa, snowdrops, fritillaries, tulips,
squills, narcissus and daffs all go down to at least 20F. I've never lost
any of these through cold winters. My crocuses have been coming up each
year in the lawn for about 15 years with no problem, even through cold
winters.

Ah, have I misread you and the situation is not too cold but too warm?

someone

Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

"Radar" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, you haven't misread me, it's definitely the cold that's our problem,
but "cold" is a relative term. I'm envious that you can grow daffs and
narcissus, and especially crocuses naturalized in the lawn. What I
neglected to mention in my previous post was that where I live, our winter
temperatures can drop as low as -45 Celsius (-49 F) occasionally! A winter
that we don't drop below about -35 C is considered a 'warm' winter...lol!
So that's why only the very hardiest of the bulbs will survive here. In
fact, I think a lot of people find it amazing that ANYthing survives here,
bulbs or otherwise!

Regards,
Rick A

Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Radar" wrote in message

"someone" wrote in message

"Radar" wrote in message

[...]

I give up, where are you? Not Antarctica, because only lichens grow there.
So it must be Yukon, N.W.T. or Alaska. Or Russian Asia eastwards. Go on,
gissa clue.

someone

Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

"Radar" wrote in message

"someone" wrote in message

"Radar" wrote in message

[...]

You're getting close! I live south of N.W.T. in central Saskatchewan,
Canada at the southern edge of the Boreal Forest. Our winters are as cold
as they are because we're more or less in the centre of the continent far
away from any major bodies of water that would influence our climate, and
all that Arctic air comes right down the middle of the continent! We had a
long winter this year and our growing season is probably two or three weeks
behind 'normal'. My Scillas and Puschkinias are just starting to bloom now,
and tulips are just starting to come up. My forsythia's buds have just
started to show some yellow in the last couple of days, and it's usually in
full bloom by now. I've attached a photo of the forsythia close to full
bloom, before the end of April in 2006.

Regards,
Rick A

Attached Thumbnails
Blue Whatizit  - Wildflowers-at-Base-of-Oak.jpg (1/1)-forsythia29april06.jpg
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Radar" wrote in message

"someone" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Fascinating! Thank you for your reply. Here are three of my cats' graves
in the lawn, taken 27 Feb 2009. Two have been there for over 15 years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/3507280638/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/3506472859/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12519030@N02/3507280500/

someone in N. Wiltshire U.K.