Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM
twinbee twinbee is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Apr 30, 11:06*am, twinbee
wrote:
Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was
necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for
manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see
how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your
eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?

--
twinbee

I've never worn goggles while mowing. But then I wear glasses which
give at least some protection. And my lawn is solid turf, little
probability of hitting a stone, etc. Still, I think there is always
some chance that something you hit could somehow wind up hitting
you. If I had to mow a lawn that was half bare and had stones, I
might have a different answer. How many precautions you want to take
is a personal choice, as long as you're doing it yourself. At least
today, check back as the way things are going, that could change.
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, the instructions give plenty of warnings, but mention nothing about goggles. The blade is very slightly above where the shell covers (in other words, the shell covers a range of a hemi-sphere, and a fraction more), so any stones would presumably shoot out an angle almost parallel to the grass or better if any were going to escape, and the rest would hit the 'roof'.

Haha, I know I'm probably being paranoid