Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Any Silver Birch/Tree experts?

On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:29:11 +0100, "Angela" wrote:

I have problems with my 2 silver birch trees, or at least I think I do. I
live in a brand new house that was built in spring last year, I moved in at
the beginning of July. It's hard to describe but the development of 6 houses
was built on a small strip of land between houses and woodlands and the
houses are built in such a way that the gardens are at the side of the house
rather than the back. My house has a very small garden that had 4 mature
Silver birch, 1 young maple (though alrealdy large), a young scots pine and
a mature crab apple. All are within 4 metres or so of the house (one is 2
metres) and all bar one silver birch (the largest which was felled by the
developer) had to stay as part of the planning permission. Because oif the
trees the developer and planners agreed the garden should be completely
paved so the remaining tree roots are 50% covered by paving.

I did like the trees but in the summer I didn't get a scrap of sun in the
house or garden and I got a green patio in no time. I had discussions with
the council and they waived the planning permission and allowed me to have
some trees removed, so I had all but 2 silver birches and the scots pine
removed. Now I get dappled sun through from late morning until 5ish.

Last year I was amazed at just how many seeds there were from the silver
birch trees but this spring every single catkin has just fallen off them
before maturing. The trees in themselves look healthy but I am now wondering
what may be wrong. I am worried that the patio (which is laid on a base of
concrete) covering half the roots will be stressing them. If it is because
it wont now get sufficient water will the tree put out more roots to the
side where it can get water? Could this be why all the catkins have fallen?
Are the trees doomed? Incidently the scots pine has loads more cones than it
did last summer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Angela

I can't believe the trees will thrive if their roots can't breathe and
are covered by concrete and paving slabs. I would get it all up,
sooner rather than later, and put a little topsoil over the roots and
let the ground naturalise. Maybe put in some bulbs in the Autumn.
Birches and pines are shallow rooting, and you will not be able to
grow much around them, but enjoy them. They sound beautiful.
The falling of the catkins may be due to lack of water because of the
paving, but the tree wants to reproduce, and it is natural that they
will drop their seeds, and yes, there are a lot but only a small
proportion will germinate.
My advice would be to get those slabs and concrete up tomorrow!

Pam in Bristol