Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Silver Birch/Tree experts?

I have problems with my 2 silver birch trees, or at least I think I do. I
live in a brand new house that was built in spring last year, I moved in at
the beginning of July. It's hard to describe but the development of 6 houses
was built on a small strip of land between houses and woodlands and the
houses are built in such a way that the gardens are at the side of the house
rather than the back. My house has a very small garden that had 4 mature
Silver birch, 1 young maple (though alrealdy large), a young scots pine and
a mature crab apple. All are within 4 metres or so of the house (one is 2
metres) and all bar one silver birch (the largest which was felled by the
developer) had to stay as part of the planning permission. Because oif the
trees the developer and planners agreed the garden should be completely
paved so the remaining tree roots are 50% covered by paving.

I did like the trees but in the summer I didn't get a scrap of sun in the
house or garden and I got a green patio in no time. I had discussions with
the council and they waived the planning permission and allowed me to have
some trees removed, so I had all but 2 silver birches and the scots pine
removed. Now I get dappled sun through from late morning until 5ish.

Last year I was amazed at just how many seeds there were from the silver
birch trees but this spring every single catkin has just fallen off them
before maturing. The trees in themselves look healthy but I am now wondering
what may be wrong. I am worried that the patio (which is laid on a base of
concrete) covering half the roots will be stressing them. If it is because
it wont now get sufficient water will the tree put out more roots to the
side where it can get water? Could this be why all the catkins have fallen?
Are the trees doomed? Incidently the scots pine has loads more cones than it
did last summer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Angela

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Angela" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Angela,

I'm not an expert, but do own a couple of birches. Many plants will shed
buds or flowers when drought-stressed. Conversely, many more produce oodles
of flowers before they die - a swan song, if you like. Since birches are
shallow rooted, I think you're probably right with the drought stress.
Let's hope it's not the second option :~(.

Birches also like a somewhat acid soil; they're fairly tolerant, but I can
see how a solid raft of concrete over their roots might be a tolerance too
far. Can you enlarge the exposed soil area where each tree is planted? ...
and/or introduce a length of pipe into the ground so that you can water the
root area directly? I suggest you keep it as wet as you reasonably can
this summer in the hope of leaching out as much lime as possible. Also give
it a regular acid feed, though don't overdo it. Follow the instructions on
the fertiliser pack carefully.

I have a birch growing next to a concrete path (not the same as having its
roots buried in concrete, though!) and since I figured out the acid feed
trick, it's doing really well. I'm also fairly sure that Scots Pine
appreciates an acid feed. In the wild, the local carpet of its own shed
needles acidifies the soil, but it sounds like that can't happen in your
garden, so you'll probably need to help it out.

Spider

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

| "Angela" wrote in message
| om...
|
| Hi Angela,
|
| I'm not an expert, but do own a couple of birches. Many plants will shed
| buds or flowers when drought-stressed. Conversely, many more produce
oodles
| of flowers before they die - a swan song, if you like. Since birches are
| shallow rooted, I think you're probably right with the drought stress.
| Let's hope it's not the second option :~(.
|
| Birches also like a somewhat acid soil; they're fairly tolerant, but I can
| see how a solid raft of concrete over their roots might be a tolerance too
| far. Can you enlarge the exposed soil area where each tree is planted?
| and/or introduce a length of pipe into the ground so that you can water
the
| root area directly? I suggest you keep it as wet as you reasonably can
| this summer in the hope of leaching out as much lime as possible. Also
give
| it a regular acid feed, though don't overdo it. Follow the instructions
on
| the fertiliser pack carefully.
|
| I have a birch growing next to a concrete path (not the same as having its
| roots buried in concrete, though!) and since I figured out the acid feed
| trick, it's doing really well. I'm also fairly sure that Scots Pine
| appreciates an acid feed. In the wild, the local carpet of its own shed
| needles acidifies the soil, but it sounds like that can't happen in your
| garden, so you'll probably need to help it out.
|
| Spider

Hi Spider

Thanks for the advice, at least it looks like I can give it a bit of help by
watering/feeding. I'll give it a good feed when I do the hydrangers. There
is no way of increasing the soil area around the tree. I'm glad I had the
other trees taken down or they all would been competing for less water.

Angela

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:29:11 +0100, "Angela" wrote:

[...]

I can't believe the trees will thrive if their roots can't breathe and
are covered by concrete and paving slabs. I would get it all up,
sooner rather than later, and put a little topsoil over the roots and
let the ground naturalise. Maybe put in some bulbs in the Autumn.
Birches and pines are shallow rooting, and you will not be able to
grow much around them, but enjoy them. They sound beautiful.
The falling of the catkins may be due to lack of water because of the
paving, but the tree wants to reproduce, and it is natural that they
will drop their seeds, and yes, there are a lot but only a small
proportion will germinate.
My advice would be to get those slabs and concrete up tomorrow!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Angela" contains these words:

[...]

Fools! That will only force the roots to go further in their quest for
moisture! (Good thing they're not willows or poplars...)

[...]

Hmmm. Count your blessings: I'd be thankful that all the catkins fell
off! There's a silver birch three gardens distant, and little birches
appear like weeds - everywhere.

--
Rusty

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
| On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:29:11 +0100, "Angela" wrote:
|| I can't believe the trees will thrive if their roots can't breathe and
| are covered by concrete and paving slabs. I would get it all up,
| sooner rather than later, and put a little topsoil over the roots and
| let the ground naturalise. Maybe put in some bulbs in the Autumn.
| Birches and pines are shallow rooting, and you will not be able to
| grow much around them, but enjoy them. They sound beautiful.
| The falling of the catkins may be due to lack of water because of the
| paving, but the tree wants to reproduce, and it is natural that they
| will drop their seeds, and yes, there are a lot but only a small
| proportion will germinate.
| My advice would be to get those slabs and concrete up tomorrow!
|
| Pam in Bristol

That's not a realistic option, neither affordable or practical.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
[...]

You can find plenty of street trees with their roots covered by asphalt.

I would get it all up,
sooner rather than later, and put a little topsoil over the roots and
let the ground naturalise. Maybe put in some bulbs in the Autumn.
Birches and pines are shallow rooting, and you will not be able to
grow much around them, but enjoy them. They sound beautiful.
The falling of the catkins may be due to lack of water because of the
paving, but the tree wants to reproduce, and it is natural that they
will drop their seeds, and yes, there are a lot but only a small
proportion will germinate.
My advice would be to get those slabs and concrete up tomorrow!

Pam in Bristol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Angela wrote:

My house has a very small garden that had 4 mature
Silver birch, 1 young maple (though alrealdy large), a young scots pine and
a mature crab apple. All are within 4 metres or so of the house (one is 2
metres)

I had discussions with
the council and they waived the planning permission and allowed me to have
some trees removed, so I had all but 2 silver birches and the scots pine
removed.

What view has your insurance company taken of such large trees so
close to the house?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris J Dixon writes
Angela wrote:

My house has a very small garden that had 4 mature
Silver birch, 1 young maple (though alrealdy large), a young scots pine and
a mature crab apple. All are within 4 metres or so of the house (one is 2
metres)

I had discussions with
the council and they waived the planning permission and allowed me to have
some trees removed, so I had all but 2 silver birches and the scots pine
removed.

What view has your insurance company taken of such large trees so
close to the house?

I'd have thought it was changes that mattered. Build a house next to an
already mature tree, not much problem. Plant a small tree next to a
house and let it grow large - a gradually increasing amount of water is
being taken from the soil by the tree, so soil volume is shrinking on
the side of the house nearest tree, and shrinking much less on the side
farthest from the tree - foundations shift.

I understand removing a large tree can also be problematical - suddenly
water isn't being taken, so soil expands on the side of the house where
the tree was - it's called 'heave'.
--
Kay
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

| On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:29:11 +0100, "Angela" wrote:
|| I can't believe the trees will thrive if their roots can't breathe and
| are covered by concrete and paving slabs. I would get it all up,
| sooner rather than later, and put a little topsoil over the roots and
| let the ground naturalise. Maybe put in some bulbs in the Autumn.
| Birches and pines are shallow rooting, and you will not be able to
| grow much around them, but enjoy them. They sound beautiful.
| The falling of the catkins may be due to lack of water because of the
| paving, but the tree wants to reproduce, and it is natural that they
| will drop their seeds, and yes, there are a lot but only a small
| proportion will germinate.
| My advice would be to get those slabs and concrete up tomorrow!
|
| Pam in Bristol

That's not a realistic option, neither affordable or practical.

Quite. Get them up today.

--
Rusty