Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
joevan[_3_] joevan[_3_] is offline

Default 3D Iris

On Fri, 01 May 2009 13:06:40 -0400, Wolf K
wrote:

Paddy's Pig wrote:
"D&JG" wrote in message
How did you take the photo?

It's actually two photos. I shot the first one, then moved the camera a
couple of inches and shot the second one.

Aha, that's what I thought you did. ;-) Tricky. Well done!

Some years ago there was an article in a photo mag about making a tripod
gizmo to make this sideways movement easy and accurate. A "fat T" shaped
flat bar, about 1/8" thick, with the standard threaded hole in the
(short) leg of the T, plus a slot about 3" long (or longer) in the T-bar
for a thumbscrew to pass through into the camera's tripod mount. Mount
the bar on the tripod, then the camera at one end of the T. take the
pic, loosen the thumbscrew, and slide the camera over, and etc. It was
up to you to line up the camera with the bar each time. This is one of
those projects I'm going to make Real Soon Now. ;-)

NB that human eye spacing is about 2" to 2.5". This is therefore the
minimum spacing of the two pictures for a good stereo effect, but the
greater the spacing, the stronger the stereo effect.

You can also get a good stereo effect by taping two single-use cameras
together side by side, the lenses end up being about 3" apart.

HTH

wolf k.

I guess because of having to wear glasses the only way I can view the
3 d pic. is to use my antique stereopticon. I get the picture trimmed
down so that I can view it on the screen.